Thread: Partnership Visa issues

Default Partnership Visa issues

Hi everybody,

So my partner and I broke up about 6-8weeks ago (I'm the Kiwi one) and so he rang immigration and informed them of the break up and they immediately told him to stop working as he would have been breaching the partnership visa conditions. So he lost his job as they couldn't afford to wait around for immigration. He moved back in with his mother as he had no where else to go. We ended everything, bank accounts, insurance, the lot. While we were separated, my partner started searching for someone who would offer him a job and support him through the essential skills work visa. He has had a job offer and they are willing to do the work visa application. But, now a few days ago, we have just decided to sort things out and get back together. I rang immigration and told them that we had gotten back together and the immigration officer/person said that now they will have to assess the stability of our relationship.

So, my question is should my partner apply for the work visa until we can prove our relationship really well again - because it's just not feasible at the moment to move back in together etc. And the job offer that he has had is a job where he will be travelling away for 11 days and then home for 3 days. And yet we have to prove that we're living together? So is he better off applying for the work visa now and then we can re-apply for a partnership one later on again? We have already done two partnership visas and I've heard you can only do 3 maximum - is this true as well?

Thanks in advance for all the help....!!

It sounds as though it would definitely be quicker and easier at this stage for him to go for the Essential Skills visa in his own right.

After this break-up, they're definitely going to look hard at your evidence of partnership all over again. He will need to have moved back in with you, and you will need to have put back in place all that you un-did before. Having a travelling job doesn't stop people from proving a proper partnership, but it will also mean that you have to keep thorough records of how you keep in touch while he is away - phone, Skype, etc..

There isn't anything in the regulations that limits the number of partnership work visas anyone can have. But if he gets the Essential Skills visa, you wouldn't be in any rush, and it might be worth going ahead and collecting 12 months' proof of partnership, so he could be sponsored for Residence. Or, the new skilled job might mean he could apply for Residence under SMC in his own right.

good luck

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it. Fingers crossed that everything goes well.