Thread: Places to stay in Wellington

Default Places to stay in Wellington

Hi guys,

Any recommendations for areas to stay within walking distance to wellington Hospital?

Newly arrived, no car. So walking might be best. (Maybe will consider biking). Doesn't matter whether it is in city center or suburbs as within walking distance to place of work

What would be a reasonable rent for a fully furnished apartment?

Thanks in advance!

I looked on Trade Me for fully furnished one bedroom apartments in Newtown, Hataitai, Mt Cook and Mt Vic and two places came up - one at a lodge (shared facilities) in Newtown around $200 a week including power and internet and the other around $190 per week in Mt Vic with power included not internet. Both were shared facilities type places. Hotel St George (minimum stay one month) is around $200 or $250 for en-suite rooms not including internet, is extremely well situated in middle of town and google says it is a 34 minute walk to the hospital. If you are wanting a more self contained flat or apartment you are going to be paying more. It's going to be harder to find such furnished apartments. FWIW we rent out the one bedroom self contained and furnished flat in our house in Roseneath/Hataitai and charge $250 a week for that but should probably be charging closer to $300 a week. Hope this helps.

Oh thanjs for that. So i presume places like mount vic, mt cook, hataitai and newtown are all within walking distance to the hospital. I have a budget of approx 500 nzd per week. Are any of the areas nicer then others or quote the same? I would be looking for as close to hospital as possible and ideally a nice environment. Thanks

Well it's a matter of personal taste and judgment as to what is more important. As you say you want to be as close to the hospital as possible in your shoes I would probably look at Newtown as that is a rental area and the hospital is in Newtown. Negatives with Newtown is that it is a mixed area with the odd dubious person around and it is 30 + minutes walk from town, which is also not the most interesting walk. It has quite a lot of shops and cafes though and some of it fronts on the town belt.

Hataitai at the Newtown end might be a little nicer, with possible ocean views but you would need to cross State Highway One and possibly a bit of green belt hill to get to the hospital. Also look at Mt Vic.

Town (Te Aro) is your other easier access area. The advantage of that (and Mt Vic) is that you are in town (more things to do, nicer).

You need to look at the various places yourself (also the suburbs are bigger eg further parts of Newtown are further from the hospital than the nearer parts of Hataitai or town).

Cheers

ok thanks a million for advice!

There is really great/frequent bus service connecting most of the CBD with the Hospital. I used to bus daily and only drive in for middle of the night emergencies. So unless you need to be able to get to the Hospital outside of normal hours (6AM-10PM), you can stay anywhere in the CBD and be there in 10-20 minutes. For example, if you live near Cuba and Manners you can get a 15 minute direct bus that comes every 4 minutes from about 6:30AM-10PM.

On the flip side, Newtown has its appeal in terms of being a diverse neighborhood that has a nice selection of food and services and is itself well connected by bus to everywhere. So I would not count it out.

Also, a few neighborhoods do not directly connect with the Hospital. Hataitai requires a transfer, while Miramar is direct. So even though Haitai is much closer, it takes a bit longer to get to the Hospital.