Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 515$ first electric bill

Check the temperature of your hot water system, it could well be too hot. Hot water is one of the biggest users of power. The ideal temp. is 60 Celcius.
    It is important that the water in the cylinder is this hot 60C to kill bacteria such as legionella but higher temperature settings only increase your power bill and can scald you (it only takes one second at 70°C).
    Last edited by Fern49; 24th July 2016 at 10:51 AM.

Hi, welcome to NZ!?! You do not mention where you live but on the South Island bills like could be right. We have never quite paid that much (I think around $400 max) but we have a very energy efficient heat pump. I do remember when we first got here, someone said their first bill had been $700!!!

coromandel area, whitianga town...

Hi, not sure then - am aware that much warmer up there, so sounds quite steep. People living closer to you probably able to give you better advice, I can only comment on my experiences in the cold South

have you checked firstly, whether its an actual reading or an estimated one. Read the meter(s) and check the numbers. You can also do you own calculations by taking a reading over a day, or a week period and see if that together with line charges is about the same?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    have you checked firstly, whether its an actual reading or an estimated one. Read the meter(s) and check the numbers. You can also do you own calculations by taking a reading over a day, or a week period and see if that together with line charges is about the same?
    also did you check the meter when you forst moved in? You could be paying for power used by previous renants, or while it was vacant. If you can work out what you are currently using daily, that might tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    also did you check the meter when you forst moved in? You could be paying for power used by previous renants, or while it was vacant. If you can work out what you are currently using daily, that might tell you.
    All checked Chris, before i arrived the meter was 9130. i haven't received the actual bill yet but an email saying:
    Your first invoice has been produced today for $514.29 - One Month Free credit $250.00 leaving $264.29 due 8 August 2016.
    The discounted amount $212.86.

Not sure if this one month free credit is just a tool they use or what... but my actual reading is 514.29.... so next month there will be no free month credit((((

then read your meter today, deduct that reading from start reading of 9130. That will give you the number of units used. Multiply by the cost per unit (Kwh?) , add the cost of daily supply charge,(number of days since start x daily charge) and that will give you $$$ used to date. Divide then by number of days and that will give you daily cost. if it still seems very excessive, then you may have a meter problem or a useage problem. Hard to know your circumstances, but for a family of 4 your might excpect a bill of $400 a month in winter, maybe $150 for a single person.????? it will also depend if it includes water, or space heating, the number of people in the household and how much you use washer, dryer etc.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 25th July 2016 at 01:06 PM.

I think it depends on your usage. This winter we've been paying around $450 a month. That's with 5 people in the house and we have electric water heater, we run an efficient heat pump for one hour a day, and we run an electric heater in one bedroom over night. Our cooktop and oven are lpg. Last winter we paid around $600 a month as we had the spa pool running (this year we've emptied it for winter). So to me it seems ok, but it depends a lot on your house and how much energy you consume in general.

Something is wrong. What sort of heater are you using in your baby's room and for how long?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast