Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 515$ first electric bill

Sounds like too much. 4 of us with central heating throughout, and a washer and dryer that go every 2nd day at least..this month$391(and that is high for us in insulated house). Try contact, you can do smooth pay and get online discount and discount for payments ontime. Smooth pay spreads cost over yr and we are almost always in credit. Is the house well insulated? We are in Waikato so similar climate

It wasn't long ago - back in 2009 that my aunt monthly winter bills for power was around $800. But that's because a lot of people lived in the house (6 females and 1 male) and the biggest eater of power was their hot water tank, then at least 3 large 4kW oil fin heaters which would never be turned off.

Another friend in Chch also complained of high power bills 1- 2 years ago .- again in the $900 region per month. His father was in ill care so in their old drafty house, all the heaters had to be going.

If you keep the heat on overnight - I highly advise switch to day / night rate. The off peak night rate is less than 1/2 the cost of the day rate.

Do you have a Smart Meter or what type? Avoid Baths every night if you have one because they could cost around $10 each one, Turn off every Plug when you Don't use them and things like Automatic Garage doors and that? I mean unless they are really charging you for no reason well then Get a Magnet and stick it on the Rotators that reads that kw to slow them down, though i shouldn't be saying because it is Illegal... However if its a Smart meter you have you will have a problem

I have a smart meter , with no problems at all.

We had an issue with our meter, when we first moved here. The electricity company came and investigated and discovered a faulty meter, as we had starting readings and they could see what was in the house. We had nothing there for the first month! After that there was never a problem.

Just wondered in your month's credit though. I remember some type of bond, which was payable in the first month and credited back after about 12 months, in case you defaulted on payment.

Are you on any contract with your current electricity company? If not, switch to Powershop. So much cheaper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123