Thread: Emigrating from the UK with my partner

Default Emigrating from the UK with my partner

Me and my boyfriend are hoping to move out to NZ (Christchurch area) when I graduate in July from a UK university. He's a qualified electrician and if he gets a job offer before we apply for the visa then he has 205 points (according to his points calculator). I'm hoping to come in through a partner of visa but I'm worried about proving a stable and real relationship. We've been together nearly a year but because of university I've been living in the same house with the same people as I did the year before, so we haven't got any joint bills or anything. By the time we move out we will have been together for just under 2 years, is this long enough for INZ? We have plenty of photographs and evidence of our time together, and he lives near my university so we spend alot of time together.

In NZ I would be applying to study a Masters of Environmental Science which is on the long term skills shortage list- if this makes a difference.

My family already have residency in NZ and I would love to join them too with my partner.

Thanks in advance!

First thing - about your partner's application. If he has a job offer, he only needs 100 points for his EOI to be selected. He only needs 140 if he doesn't yet have a job offer. It is not useful to claim a lot of extra points. Every set of points means another piece of evidence which will have to be checked by INZ by contacting someone else, who may not reply promptly, and so is yet another possible cause of delay in processing.

Also about his application. He should check his entitlement to points carefully. The calculator that was on the old INZ website could be misleading, but SM6 here has a chart with all the possible reasons for points, and the other sections give the detailed requirements for claiming. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...anual/6954.htm

If he wants to include you as a partner, you will need to supply very solid proof that you have been living together for the 12 months leading up to the application, in particular - time before that is useful as well, but INZ look in greatest detail at the preceding 12 months. Here https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof are old threads which will give examples and discussion about the kind of evidence that can be used. It can be difficult, as you suspect, to get INZ to consider time spent in a multi-occupancy house-share, but some few people have managed it by using evidence such as the testimony of other house-mates that they lived as a couple, sharing their private space, and maybe the landlord, neighbours, or visitors knowing and testifying that x was y's partner. Anyway, it sounds as though you have time to set up a much more solid body of evidence that you are together, after you move out and before the application goes in.

Like I said, for inclusion on the EOI as partner requires 12 months' evidence of partnership.

However, there are some other options that could also get you to NZ at the same time as him. If he gets a job offer, it would be normal for him to apply for an Essential Skills visa or Work To Residence visa, alongside putting in the EOI, because the temporary visas can usually be processed in about 4 - 6 weeks, as against Residence in 10 - 12 months, and employers don't want to wait that long. The work visa entitles the worker to sponsor a partner for this visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...k-visa-holders, with a minimum of about three months' evidence of partnership, which by that time you should easily be able to cover. You would apply for both visas together, with a linking covering letter. INZ would then supply his visa number after it became available.

He could go ahead with the Residence application as planned, and if INZ did not count the earliest part of your partnership evidence, there is a provision for them to EITHER delay the grant of visas to both of you until you had the 12 months' evidence, OR for you to apply for temporary visas (as just mentioned) to let you both go to NZ till the 12 months is up, and then complete the Residence processing. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/30883.htm