Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wellington with 22k/year

Default Wellington with 22k/year

Hi all,

New here, nice to meet you.

I have to ask you guys some advise.

I've received a PhD scholarship from Victoria Uni of about 22,500 a year (around 1900 a month).

Do you think it possible to have a decent life with that amount of money in Welly?

I know NZ is quite expensive; I live in Europe and just the plane ticket sets me back 1300 EUR.

I could handle the indoor coldness as I lived in Portugal and they have the same situation with heating; I am used to a frugal life as I come from a modest family, but I'm really doubtful I can make it with under 2k a month in NZ. I mean, I've seen people here being worried they won't make it with 50k a year

Please let me know what do you think and if there is anyone doing/have done a PhD in Welly/NZ, is more than welcomed to jump in and tell their story.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Bogdan

$22k is pretty good for a scholarship, and will allow you to live like a student with a room in a shared house.

Congratulations on your scholarship.

Try this link for costs calculations - https://www.victoria.ac.nz/internati...ost-calculator

Wellington is a great vibrant little city; I am sure you would enjoy your study here.

Hi,

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.

However, will I be able to find a room in a shared house/apartment for 200-250/week and will I be able to cover my expenses with the remaining 200-250/week?

It seems to me like an awful tiny amount of money to live with, from what I've read on this forum.

Thank you.

Also, I went on the Victoria's website and on all the options I could check at the end (catered hall, homestay, etc), they say that I need a budget above my scholarship (around 25-27k/y). How would I possibly manage to work my way through the phd?

Quote Originally Posted by bogdabo View Post
    Hi,

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.

However, will I be able to find a room in a shared house/apartment for 200-250/week and will I be able to cover my expenses with the remaining 200-250/week?

It seems to me like an awful tiny amount of money to live with, from what I've read on this forum.

Thank you.
    My sons currently lives in a sort of boarding house (I think he is the only student there, all others are professionals), he first had his own bathroom, shared kitchen, and paid $250.oo/ week, he now moved on another floor, shared bathrooms, shared kitchen, the room is $ 170.00/ week. He has $250/ week of student allowance, being a 'mature' student and not falling under parents income thresholds any longer, we top that up by around $100/ week maximum. It is not easy to find accommodation in Wellington, that is probably a big hurdle, but apart from that there are a lot of students around who have to make do with less than $200- $250/ week for living costs.

It seems an awful small amount of money, doesn't it? I mean, for NZ standards.

Quote Originally Posted by bogdabo View Post
    It seems an awful small amount of money, doesn't it? I mean, for NZ standards.
    But it is a student we're talking about..., how much money do you expect to have as a student, I wonder.. It is supposed to cover the basic needs, I'd think, not provide for a luxurious lifestyle.

Well, does it cover the basic needs, is what I'm asking

If you have $200-250/ week left after your rent is paid you should have more than enough for food and everything else you need, but of course you have to live accordingly.
    The maximum amount for student allowance (citizen/ resident, not to be paid back) at the moment is $250/ week, the maximum amount available for living cost (parents over income threshold and has to be paid back as part of the student loan, again resident/ citizen) you get even less.., and not everyone has parents that can or will help with costs, so lots of students have to pay rent plus buy food etc. with that amount, which means they need to find a job to support themselves.

I am not saying it is a huge amount per week what you will be getting, but it is definitively manageable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast