Thread: Time frame forJob search in NZ

Default Time frame forJob search in NZ

Hi all, would appreciate if anyone can share with me how long did you get a job offer in NZ? Or how long, roughly, would I be able to get a job offer in IT industry.

Depending on your experience it should be fairly quick. I arrived this June last year and got an IT job with UOA within 10 days. I have no qualifications but over 10 years experience in IT. I'd advise contracting due to the easier interviewing process plus better pay rates.

Thanks Nurrish. Your reply do give me some hope that it is not too difficult to get a job which is what I am worried about.

Are you on contract currently? Do they give work visa even on contract?

It really depends on you experience/industry and the city you live. Auckland tends to get quicker. But I would say average 1-3 months.

From the day you apply, it will take a week to arrange an 1st interview, then 1 week to 2nd interview then 1 week to get answer...

I often say the changes of job offer is around 1/10. So if you get 10 interviews then you should get at least a offer.

In my opinion, you should base on the number of interview u can get, not time.

I think 1-3 months is quite right and you will base on the number of interviews you get. I experienced it myself and still looking for IT Job even with enough experience. Contracting is no good especially for those with JSV. Getting part time job might work to pay rent and everyday expenses but make sure that you still have the time to apply and attend interviews. Most employers wait for the Job advertisement to closed before they process application and just that would take weeks. God Bless to all of us Job seekers.

SM7.15 b iii here http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/30549.htm tells you what is needed if INZ are going to take contract-working seriously. It is NOT easy to get them to accept this for residence, and won't do for a work visa.

1 to 3 months sounds right to me too. It can get really variable depending on skill sets and market for that skill set. IT has a good market here. One stands better chance if one has a more varied plate of skill sets, in my experience. For example, a BA who has done testing and can do project management tasks has a better chance, in my opinion, than just a BA. Agile experience does add value too.

So, time frame is really dependent on such things, apart from a limited degree of fortune. That is, your application being picked up by the right people (recruiters with right focus on your skill set; few times, my resume got picked up by folks who did recruitment for hard core developers!) and at the right time (company A needs talent such as yours NOW).
    Last edited by Jerry Maguire; 15th August 2016 at 12:09 PM.

Based from the SM7.15 (b. ii. an offer of employment or current employment with a single employer, for a stated term of at least 12 months).

My question is What are the chances that application could be declined if offered Fixed term for 12 months Full time?

Note: When assessing whether employment is sustainable, officers may consider, but are not limited to, such factors as the residence status of the employer, the period for which the employing organisation has been established as a going concern, and the financial sustainability of the employing organisation.

Where an offer of employment or current employment is for a stated term of at least 12 months, the stated term must be valid both at the time the application is lodged and when the application is decided, in particular:
    ~ if the applicant has current employment, he or she must be in that employment, or
    ~ if the applicant has an offer of employment, the offer must continue to be valid.

The chances vary, depending on conditions in the industry the person is working in (e.g. is there plenty of work about? are there other employers looking for qualified employees?), and on INZ's impression of that particular employer, and if the employer has said there is likely to be follow-on work available.