Thread: Temporary Work Visa based on Partnership

Default Temporary Work Visa based on Partnership

Hello everyone. My partner and I are getting ready to do a work visa application based on partnership. I think we should have a good shot at getting the work one rather than the visitor but wanted to get some opinions as it seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. So our situation is as follows:

I am an NZ citizen and my partner is from Peru. She came to NZ on a working holiday visa in March 2015, we met in August and began our relationship in September. In December we took a two week trip around the South Island, and we then lived together from January until halfway through March when she returned to Peru, just before the expiry of her visa. We've since maintained daily skype contact, and I will be in Peru with her in all of August and September (living together at her parents' house). The plan is for my partner to return to NZ in January on the temporary work visa, and then eventually get residence.

We can provide evidence including a bank statement in her name from when we lived together in NZ with the address, various letters from people, photos, tickets/accommodation from our trip and my flight to Peru, records of skype calls, etc. What I'm a little concerned about is evidence of us living together because the bank statement is about the only official thing there is. In addition to that we could get letters from flatmates saying we were living there, and the occasional domestic type email between us where we make reference to living together, like what are we going to cook tonight. I suppose I could provide bank statements showing the rent paid between January and March increased due to there being two of us. We could also get letters from my partner's parents for the two months we'll be living together in Peru. We also don't have things like joint finances and bills together, it wouldn't really make sense to do so until we're permanently in the same country.

We should be okay to justify the time apart (her visa was expiring and she hadn't come to NZ expecting to stay permanently, I'm in fulltime employment in NZ and saved up leave for the two month visit). We'd like to apply for the visa when I'm with her in Peru in August. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

In addition to that we could get letters from flatmates saying we were living there, and the occasional domestic type email between us where we make reference to living together, like what are we going to cook tonight. I suppose I could provide bank statements showing the rent paid between January and March increased due to there being two of us. We could also get letters from my partner's parents for the two months we'll be living together in Peru.
    All this sounds good. Could you also get a letter from the landlord, stating the reason for the higher rent?

It's not the most straightforward situation to apply from, but it looks as though you are ready to argue your case.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    All this sounds good. Could you also get a letter from the landlord, stating the reason for the higher rent?

It's not the most straightforward situation to apply from, but it looks as though you are ready to argue your case.
    Alright thanks we'll see how we go We can't get a letter from the landlord as it was just arranged between all the flatmates, like subletting.

Update here, we didn't get the work visa (not enough evidence of living together) but got a nine month general visitor visa instead. I'm very happy that we have at least that, and it will be no problem to build up further evidence of living together once she arrives, but still a little disappointed with the response. It stated that the only evidence we provided of living together was a bank statement. This was surprising because we had also included a letter from our flatmates stating we had lived together in Wellington, a similar letter from my partner's parents in Peru (plus the plane tickets to Peru), emails between us referencing living together, and also the bank statements showed the increased rent for the time we were living together.

In this situation is there any hope of getting them to reconsider? It would be one thing if they said the above evidence wasn't sufficient (and I realise they want to see things like utility bills etc), but I thought it was quite strange they said the bank statement was the only thing we had provided. If not it will of course be okay, but it would mean a few months where she can't work and then paying another application fee.

The other issue is they didn't return some of the documents, including original letters sent between us and the various translations we provided so we will ask about those. We may need the letters for future applications and more importantly they have lots of sentimental value to us.

I'm glad you got some good out of it, even though not the full acceptance. You can use the Complaint process https://www.immigration.govt.nz/cont...aint-about-inz that your evidence was apparently not ALL considered, and hasn't been returned.