Thread: Partnership-based work visa

Default Partnership-based work visa

Hi everyone!

First of all I would like to congratulate the community that participates in this forum: you guys are great, knowledgeable and very helpful!

I'm applying for a partnership-based work visa in mid-September and few points of my application have been worrying me. I'm a Brazilian guy dating a kiwi for over 11 months. We met in September in Brazil while he was there on a work holiday visa, and during this time we traveled a lot together, even to my hometown when we met my parents and attended a couple of weddings of a friend and of a relative of mine. He left Brazil
    in November, and since then we were constantly in touch (via FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp and Facebook chat). I came to visit him in NZ in late February and stayed with him at his parents' in Blenheim, travelled a little bit around, came with him to Auckland (where he was resettling to start studying) and after speeding 20 days in total I returned to Brazil. We decided that we wanted to stay together and for that I should move to New Zealand to live together as it was the most reasonable option we had.
    Well, after selling pretty much everything I had in Brazil I finally came to New Zealand, arriving on 19th of June 2016, and as Brazil has a visa-free regime with NZ, I was granted a visitor visa at the border after landing in Auckland.

At my arrival, I believe I raised some suspicion on the passport control guard as I was visiting NZ twice within 4 months (February and again in June). The lady was kind, asked the purpose of my visit and I told here I was here to visit my BF. She stamped my passport with the visitor visa, but sent me to another guard that asked a number of questions (too many, I would say) regarding the purpose of my stay. I told him I was here on a holiday, to visit my kiwi boyfriend, that I had a job in Brazil and that I was staying only 20 days, which was not particularly true - I had quit my job and in fact I was (and still am) willing to stay here for good. I was granted permit to enter the country on a visitor visa that lasts for 90 days, and here I am now, happily living with my BF.

1. My question is: will the fact I told the guard at passport control that I was only staying here for 20 days and that I was here on holiday be a problem? Even though I've been living with my boyfriend since I arrived, I'm afraid immigration will not consider this first 20 days because theoretically I was only on holiday here. According to my timeline I'll apply for my Partnership-based work visa after living with my BF in Auckland for 87 days, a bit less than the (as far as I understood) required 3 months. If immigration does not consider my first 20 days, I'll be far from the three-month threshold, what might dump my chances of getting the work visa I need... Will the answers I gave to the passport control guard be a problem?

2. A second issue is the fact I was (technically) married before I met my current BF. My marriage was in fact over by the time I met my kiwi BF, as my ex-husband left Brazil 5 months (as I can prove by showing his flights out of the country) before I met my kiwi BF, but divorce was signed only in April this year (7 months after the time I started my relationship with my kiwi BF). Do you think immigration will raise concerns over that?

Thank you all very much for your help!! I'm quite worried so please help me with any information you might have as every bit helps!

Hello.

1. I don't think what you said to the border official will count against you. INZ have no way of knowing that the two of you didn't, during your planned 20-day holiday, SUDDENLY decide to set up home and make a life together, which led to your giving up your job and not making that return flight.

There is nothing written in any regulation to say that three-months' evidence is required - this is only said on the threads because experience has shown that INZ take applications seriously when there is two to three months' proof available of living together.

2. Your marital history shouldn't have any effect on your application. INZ aren't the morals police. You had every right to set up home with your present boyfriend, and THAT is what counts, not what went before.

Thank you very much! Hopefully it will all go well with my application. I'll come here to comment as soon as I get an answer from INZ!

Good luck!