Thread: importing 2 cars (Honda Integra 2006 and Harrier 2.4L 2007 model) to Auckland

Question importing 2 cars (Honda Integra 2006 and Harrier 2.4L 2007 model) to Auckland

HI All,

me and my-wife applied the ITA and pending for CO to be assigned at the moment. We are from Singapore and wondering import our cars, is all goes well.

Appreciate if someone can advise me is it worthy to import our cars to New Zealand? Also, do they really allow 2 cars?

1. Honda Integra 2L Auto
    2. Toyota Harrier 2.4L Auto

Thanks in advanced!

DC5

The answer is really yes and no. It depends on the car value in NZ. If you import a low-end car like a Honda Fit, then it wouldn't be worth it. But if you were to import say a BMW 740i, then yes. The body value of that car would be around 2K in Singapore and 18K in NZ. To check the market value of the vehicle make and model, you can do a random serach on trademe.co.nz to estimate its value.

However you need to do a lot of legwork yourself. This can be quite daunting as you need to see the regulations: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/
    on importing a vehicle. You also need to see the regulations https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/im...ants-vehicles/
    to see if you are eligible as a migrant importing an vehicle.

The process can be simplified into a) scrap your car and send it to the export zone, collect LTA technical letter and statement of compliance if necessary, engage a shipper to ship your car to a NZ port, engage a car agent in NZ to deal with customs and MAF and to tow your car to a compliance centre to be complianced and registered.

A Harrier should be easy to complianced as it is a Japanese domestic vehicle ( or parallel imported vehicle in Singapore). You only need the LTA technical letter which is issued once the rebate is given and the car is in the export processing zone (epz). However if your integra is purchased originally by the car agent in Singapore - HondaKAH, then it would need an additional documentation- a statement of compliance in which the agent has to declare that the car meets all the compliance standards in NZ. Check https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/im...of-compliance/
    which is easier said than done. Most car agents in Singapore are clueless to how to do it and relunctant to help.

You need to do a lot of work yourself which is why a lot of migrants don't bother with the hassle unless the car is fairly new and worth considerably more in NZ. I've imported in the past, a grandis and now a harrier myself so I understand that it isn't quite as easy.

HI batgirl1001,

Thank you very much for the information and appreciated

any shipping agent info you can share with?
    how much did you pay for Harrier shipping and handling charges?

I think for Integra, probably i need to get Veritas Cert as it was from KAH motors?

Cheers!

One more thing i found out, in order to import a car under migrant concession rate. you must use the vehicles at least one year. so in this case, in Singapore buying a BMW 1 year COE left will cost you well over 50K. thats not practical with all these hassle in my opinion.

unfortunately, all these models has over 20K depreciation in Singapore. i was looking around to buy BMW x5 or X6 and dropped the idea of the risk and BMW are not that reliable as Japanese cars I find. parts are expensive too. I prefer Lexus in this aspect..

in my case, instead of giving to scrap yard for $300 -$400. i would rather export it as i know the condition of the car. however, this seems to be a gamble in practically...

much appreciated your views on this matter.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Not sure what a COE is and why it would cost $50K?

BMWs used to be really good, reliable cars and then sometime in the late 90s they completely lost the plot and filled them full of unreliable electronic gadgets; I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole unless someone else was paying for it i.e. a company car.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Not sure what a COE is and why it would cost $50K?

BMWs used to be really good, reliable cars and then sometime in the late 90s they completely lost the plot and filled them full of unreliable electronic gadgets; I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole unless someone else was paying for it i.e. a company car.
    I assume that the reference is to the requirement to have owned and used the vehicle for 12 months prior to the date that the vehicle is shipped in you want to bring it in under the concession.

Leo Logistics. Around $4K including GST as it is in storage waiting for us to arrive.

You still need a car agent in NZ to collect the car on your behalf and tow it to a compliance centre. You will also need a delivery address in NZ and/or contact number or email. This you will still need to do on your own.

As for using Bureau Veritas for the integra, check with a NZ entry certifier to see if such certification is acceptable. You can email the following VTNZ, VINZ, AA in NZ.

If you intend to bring in the vehicle as a migrant vehicle, you need to own the car for at least one year to earn GST exemption. If you own the vehicle for less than 1 year, GST will be calculated on a pro-rated basis. And the regulations also means you need to own the vehicle for at least 2 years in NZ.

As pointed out, what car you bring in depends a lot on the value of the car on NZ roads. Certain costs are quite fixed so even if you bring in a small car or a large vehicle, the charges remain the same. You will also have to ensure the vehicle is cleaned (to remove biological threats), has no rust issues and in good working condition. If the vehicle is in need of some repair (eg. such as brake pads, suspension), the compliance centre will fix it and charge the additional costs to you.

Thanks again batgirl1001, i will let go Integra. I will try Harrier 2.4A. its still a tight call.

Thanks all

It shouldn't be a problem for the harrier. If you think you might have problems, try getting a car exporter in Singapore to do some of the job for you. I presume they charge a fee of course.