Thread: Wellington with a dog close to CBD

Default Wellington with a dog close to CBD

Interviewing to return to Wellington soon, and looking for neighborhood suggestions for a couple + dog. I posted a follow-up to an old thread from 4 years ago back before I took a fixed term position in 2012, but realize my new questions belong in the Locations topic (and I don't know how to move a thread.)

We did bring our pug over last time (in 2012) for 10 months and it went well. We ended up living in a nice little cottage in Roseneath that worked great for us and the dog... but still would like to be more central. Having lived in Wellington, I think our options close to the CBD are limited. Not only are there dog restrictions, but there is a distinct lack of grass in the CBD (and even in many inner suburbs.) What areas are both walkable into the CBD and walkable with a dog? I will be at the Hospital, and a direct bus link would also be handy.

So we are thinking our best options are Mt. Vic, Newtown, Thorndon above the Terrace and maybe parts of Mt Cook near Massey? I'd like to be in a spot that is a 20 min walk to most of the CBD, but that generally is Te Aro- and I get the sense that is a no go for dog owners- but maybe I'm wrong? Anywhere with green space that I'm missing? Some areas are looking to be too dear like much of Mt Vic and close in Oriental Parade.

The other thought would be picking a place that has great bus service to the CBD like Hataitai, Kelburn, Brooklyn or Miramar. But I guess that is my back-up plan for now. Do you think I am on the right track, or is it just not realistic to have both CBD living and a dog? We currently have an apartment in Chicago with its own dog-run and close to inner city parks- but I get the sense that is not an option in Wellington.

(If you wanted to get it moved, you'd have to ask one of the moderator team, but no worries - I've got rid of the duplicate for you.)

I think Mt Vic might be your best bet - it is eg quite a surprisingly short albeit steep walk down Marjoribanks Street from the Green Belt (Charles Plimmer Park is a dog park) into town. Other options might just be Aro Valley (is a dog park up that way) or maybe even some parts of Kelburn or Thorndon. Main issue might be finding a rental which will accept your pug though.

Thanks. We likely will try and buy- which might put Mt Vic out of our reach. And I know what you mean about the hills. We almost could not coax our Tiida up the hill to our friend's place there.

Aro Valley would be great if they had more consistent bus service. What about Mt Cook, are there parts that are less studenty? Maybe the parts closer to the Basin?

We'll have to look into Kelburn more, as the botanical gardens are dog friendly. But we'd like a place a bit more urban feeling of possible.

You are going to get a shock with house prices which have shot up maybe 20% over the last nine months or so. I am not sure about Mt Cook as I don't know it too well nor do I know dog walks there - but imagine there must be non-studenty areas there. Is further from town than your 20 minute walk guideline though. Kelburn is not inner city and expensive like Mt Vic but of course near Botanic Gardens and has the cable car for easy town access. Wadestown is also expensive and sort of walkable to the city end of town and has access to some green belt areas, but again steep and our car was tampered with often when parked on the road there. Thorndon has more of inner city feel and might suit your purposes - but also expensive. A very few apartments in inner city allow dogs I believe, and you can walk your dog on lead through the city to the waterfront as long as you don't stop.

Thanks. Maybe prices will level out when the new 20% guidelines go into effect.

If you rent...the tricky part will definitely be finding a landlord that will allow even a small dog. But the Botanic Gardens and Tinakori Hill are very good dog walking areas near Thorndon/Kelburn. And Aro Valley has a large park that goes up the hill from the valley. Brooklyn has a huge park and so does Mt. Vic, they are all the "town belt" so dog walking is definitely there. But landlords are not keen on renting to dog owners so more power to you on buying, and hopefully you can find a flat that isn't too dear!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    hopefully you can find a flat that isn't too dear!
    Actually, you'll find a lot of the flats blocks have covenants, where no dogs are allowed in the block of flats, and you have to sign up to that covenant before you can buy the house. So even then it's not easy.

I wouldn't even bother looking at CBD, unless you're willing to take your luck with not declaring your dog. Off the top of my head there was an article in Stuff a few years ago about a guy who got taken to court over it, I don't know what the end effect was, but they were saying the property or the dog - pick one. From what I knew, the law was on the admin's side not the tenant's.

Ed:
    Having said that though, if you've got the money, everything's negotiable right?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Evans Bay/Haitaitai could be an option. There's a little enclosed dog park by Cog Park for off leash activity. If you need walking distance to CBD then you might have to pay through the nose these days. Don't forget parts of Newtown are very close to Mt Vic so that could be an option. Lyall Bay is another with a year round off leash dog beach. But need to drive/bus/cycle to work (but it is flat!).

Berhampore is close to Mt Albert and the tracks up there. We live in Island Bay by Tawatawa Reserve and we moved here because of owning a dog (now sadly departed).