Thread: Dentists out there - Can I make my own tooth paste?

Talking Dentists out there - Can I make my own tooth paste?

Hi everyone, hopefully dentists/oral or dental hygienists/doctors?

I am taking on the feat of becoming rubbish free for one year. this will be for all of 2017, and I am still practicing, getting my head around how to do it!

I have realised - Toothpaste tubes are rubbish, i.e not recyclable. I usually take good care of my teeth. brushing and flossing and mouth washing. Is it okay for me to make my own toothpaste out of baking soda, salt, and peppermint extract? I have seen a few recipes around that look fine enough but would like a dentists opinion on the matter!

Could this be bad for my teeth? could it not do anything? could it be just as good as normal toothpaste by colgate and other brands?

Any advice appreciated!

Eden

I use coconut oil and bit of baking soda. Ive been using this for nearly a year now. I love it and I cant stand fluoride toothpaste!!!!

Toothpastes have questionable ingredients like fluoride and triclosan and its a nice thing to make your own paste. Making your own paste with baking soda, salt, and peppermint extract seems like a good idea. I will also give it a try.

We have also been using our own home made toothpaste (made from baking soda and salt) for almost a year now. And we have fresh mint growing in the garden. I must however ad that we are on a low carb diet, which makes a huge difference to mouth hygiene in the first place. We have not been to a dentist in many years, simply because we had no need.