Thread: Three Year Parent Visa

Default Three Year Parent Visa

Ever since I moved to NZ, my parents have been visiting me roughly once every year from overseas on a visitor visa. Average duration of stay is about 3-4 weeks (accommodation NOT pre-paid). They always sponsor their own visa. This time, however, I'm thinking of having them apply for a three year parent visitor visa instead (I'm a PR visa holder) to save on visa fees over a three year period. Turns out, this route requires me to sponsor them even though they are perfectly capable of sponsoring themselves.

So, I did some research and after reading INZ 1025, I'm confused. What's $1000 per mo per person? I don't know how many total months they'll be staying for in that 3 year period. Does my salary need to be more than 2 x $1000 per mo? Is that what I need to show?

Sympathies on this one. The regulations don't make things obvious at all.

ChrisMwn and Karen Phillips, the LIAs, might have a take on it. Otherwise, you could call INZ and ask what exactly they need.

I'm wondering if this particular visa, which is usually used by parents/grandparents intending to spend about half their time in NZ, is going to be the help you hoped it might be. They would use maybe three months out of the 18 months allowed them.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    ... They would use maybe three months out of the 18 months allowed them.
    Yup. That's the plan.

3 months in 3 years =
    3 x 12-month visitor visas = 3 x fee for visitor visa
    OR
    1 x 36-month parent visitor visa = 1 x fee for visitor visa = $$$ saved in 3 years

I checked the opsmanual too. Did not help

Yes, I see that's what you had in mind, which is fine if you can get through the hassle of finding and delivering exactly what you need to!

Yes, I also went to the ops manual. If I remember rightly, the previous version of the INZ website was more straightforward on this, but it's gone.

*Bump* Anyone?

INZ 1025 applies to lots of other kinds of visas as well. Im surprised nobody's brought this up before.

You could PM the LIAs.

We are currently attempting to put in an application for it.....if we get the right combination I will let you know! We were surprised at how painful it was to do the sponsorship form...and are now waiting for OHs passport to come back with the PR visa replaced in the new one, then aJP is needed to certify everything before we courier it to the UK. OH intends to get letter on firm letterhead with salary etc, plus had payslips. I think his parents can also provide the proof they have day to day living expenses available, so should not be an issue....we hope.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You could PM the LIAs.
    Negative. I do not believe in PMs.

So, whoever wants to answer has to do it right here in front of everyone.

Steady there. I'm sure they'd be happy to do that. The idea of PMing them was not something sinister - whatever can you have been imagining? - but a means by which you could draw their attention to your question, and the fact that I hadn't known what to tell you.

My people do not believe in PM'ing. It goes against my culture and my core beliefs. I have never PM'ed ppl... not here, not on any other forum.

Anyway, looks like nobody knows the answer. Gonna have to call INZ and be put on hold for an hour as usual.