Thread: living in Auckland

Default living in Auckland

Hi there, I ll be moving to auckland in oct/nov,coming from Singapore. My job in Auckland require me to shuttle between 2 sites, Epsom and Westgate. I 'll be doing a few days in Epsom, and other days in Westgate within a week. I d like to have some ideas on which part of auckland I should stay, near Epsom or Westgate. I'm looking for for a safe environment as my wife n kid will be joining, with good preschool being a bonus. I heard traffic is bad, so would really like to cut down on commuting time.

Also, im looking for a 1 bedroom unit less than $410 pw.pls advise if all this is doable.

Thank you.

Epsom is a nicer part of the city than Westgate, but also very expensive, so I'd suggest living as close to Epsom as your budget allows. If you live near the train line or a bus route (eg the Outer Link bus goes through Epsom and Newmarket), you could take public transport to Epsom, and if you are also near State Highway 16 (North Western Motorway), it will make driving out to Westgate easier - somewhere like Mt Albert perhaps.
    Public transport info https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post
    Epsom is a nicer part of the city than Westgate, but also very expensive, so I'd suggest living as close to Epsom as your budget allows. If you live near the train line or a bus route (eg the Outer Link bus goes through Epsom and Newmarket), you could take public transport to Epsom, and if you are also near State Highway 16 (North Western Motorway), it will make driving out to Westgate easier - somewhere like Mt Albert perhaps.
    Public transport info https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/
    thanks Oregonkiwi!!do u think traffic will be a hassle if i choose to settle up north, in Albany for example?

I would look at Massey/West Harbour area. Houses (translate to rent) would be cheaper and generally newer. Not many good schools there but it is less congested.

I like North Shore but you will have to sacrifice the long (traffic jam) commute when you go Epsom.