Thread: Help finding the right visa for partner

Default Help finding the right visa for partner

I'm a resident and have a girlfriend for the past 2+ years. We both hold an Indian passport. I'm going to be travelling to India this week and going to get married in court. However, due to religious reasons, her parents won't let us live together until our marriage in the church in India, which is scheduled in January, 2017.

Should I apply her visitor/work visa immediately after our court marriage this month or apply later around December?

All I want is for her to come with me here, a few days after our church wedding in January.

Thanks.

I'm sorry to say that you are not going to be able to convince INZ to give your girlfriend/wife a visa based on partnership with only the situation you describe. For INZ, partnership is ONLY proved by having set up home and lived together - and we know from experience that they take applications seriously with two to three months' evidence.

Partnership visas are the ones most targeted by fraudsters, because there is no requirement to show qualifications or work experience, and the crooks pay people to lie for them about being in a relationship. Therefore, INZ don't take what anybody SAYS about their feelings and future plans for evidence. They ONLY accept the action of having begun to live together, which can be proved by evidence, and known about by other people. They do understand about other cultures having different norms, but they can't and don't make any allowance for that.

In order to qualify for a visa through partnership, you will need to move in together and gather a lot of evidence (see old threads for discussion and ideas https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof), before applying to INZ after two to three months.

Another thing to think about is whether your partner could qualify for a NZ work visa in her own right - this would depend on what qualifications and work experience she has.