Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character Issues for Permanent Residency-- Residence Visa Already Approved

Default Character Issues for Permanent Residency-- Residence Visa Already Approved

Hi J&M and others,

I'm really happy to have my Residency approved and as you all know that the next step from here is to obtain PR Visa after two years.

This question has been on my mind ever since this happened to me.

I had an accident last year where I had hit a parked car with no person inside it while reversing. I apparently never realised that I had hit a car as I had a tow bar on mine-- but the owner of that car actually saw me hitting it-- she got my car rego and gave it to Police Chase me. Police apparently ended up at my home and I was questioned if i intentionally didn't leave my details after the accident. I told them that I never realised that i hit the car but I was happy to pay for it as I did go to that street on the Date they mentioned that the accident happened. I ended up with an infringement ticket for not leaving my contact details and I paid for it.

This question which is making me worried is this: Charged with, convicted of or investigated for any offences committed (including traffic or
    driving offences) since being granted New Zealand residence, or while on a temporary visa or when unlawfully in New Zealand?

So I obviously will have to mention that I was investigated and I'll have to provide details about it. How likely is it to affect my application considering the fact that I got my restricted drivers license just 3 months ago this accident happened? Also wanted to mention that I have got an infringement notice for using mobile while driving.

My residency visa was approved smooth as but I'm very scared for this next application

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

These are infringements only. You could answer "NO" to the convicted/charged questions but add a comment that simply says, "paid infringements only"

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    These are infringements only. You could answer "NO" to the convicted/charged questions but add a comment that simply says, "paid infringements only"
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response.

Don't I have to answer yes that I was investigated? And when I answer yes, I'm obviously supposed to explain what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by it_geek View Post
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response.

Don't I have to answer yes that I was investigated? And when I answer yes, I'm obviously supposed to explain what happened?
    technically no, since it was an infringement only, not an offence.

if you were investigated you would have to tick that you were investigated
    Last edited by cararedhead; 11th August 2016 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    technically no, since it was an infringement only, not an offence.
    Please refer to this page: http://www.cab.org.nz/vat/money/bd/Pages/Fines.aspx

It says that: The Police, the council, or other authority issues a Notice of Infringement for an offence

Therefore I had an offence and I do have to mention that I was investigated for it -- but yeah I can simply say " Never charged or convicted for any offence but was investigated and paid infringement only " ?

I was in a similar situation and had some speeding tickets from back home, I did tick YES to this question (if you google you will find that the term offense and infridgement is used interchanageably on most of the instances) and later provided some justification and proofs of having a clear license. I provided the following things:

1. Copy of Driving License
    2. Letter from Transport Authority stating all the fine details (Date/Time/Paid Status/Paid When etc).
    3. Letter from the Transport Authority stating "Good Driving Sense".
    4. I personally wrote 1 letter stating all the situation and when I paid all the fines etc..

Its better to declare rather than to Hide and then produce all evidences to present your case. In your situation, for me atleast, it is quite obvious that you need to tick YES as you were also investigated about the entire case..

Good Luck.

Hi J&M,

Could you please comment on this? Its not that I would hide this, I'll declare the failed to leave contact details ticket that i got and that I was investigated as well. I just want to know how badly this will affect my PR application. Will it be a no straight away? Will they consider the fact that I started driving recently and I was on my restricted license as well when this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by NZ2016 View Post
    I was in a similar situation and had some speeding tickets from back home, I did tick YES to this question (if you google you will find that the term offense and infridgement is used interchanageably on most of the instances) and later provided some justification and proofs of having a clear license. I provided the following things:

1. Copy of Driving License
    2. Letter from Transport Authority stating all the fine details (Date/Time/Paid Status/Paid When etc).
    3. Letter from the Transport Authority stating "Good Driving Sense".
    4. I personally wrote 1 letter stating all the situation and when I paid all the fines etc..

Its better to declare rather than to Hide and then produce all evidences to present your case. In your situation, for me atleast, it is quite obvious that you need to tick YES as you were also investigated about the entire case..

Good Luck.
    for NZ its very clear, there are infringements (IONs) , generally payable by "instant fine", which are if n a different class from traffic offences, for which a traffic offence notice (TON) might be issued and require an appearance in court, if only by way of summons. Sppoeding offences are generally regarded as infringements only, in which INZ have no interest

Quote Originally Posted by it_geek View Post
    Hi J&M,

Could you please comment on this? Its not that I would hide this, I'll declare the failed to leave contact details ticket that i got and that I was investigated as well. I just want to know how badly this will affect my PR application. Will it be a no straight away? Will they consider the fact that I started driving recently and I was on my restricted license as well when this happened?
    I say (from professional experience) that "failing to leave details" is an infringement only, not a traffic offence. You would not have to declare it, but can add "paid infringements only" INZ will have no interest. You went inestigated for an offence , but rather an infringement
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 30th August 2016 at 03:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast