Thread: LTSS or SMC?

Default LTSS or SMC?

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are researching the different visa's for us to move to New Zealand. It seems like he's able to apply for both the Long Term Skill Shortage visa or the Skilled Migrant Category, as a Mechanical Engineer with a Master of Science degree (NZQF 8?) and 5 years of experience.

We are struggling to see which visa would be better to apply for. SMC visa's seem to take a long time to get approved, however it does give a residence status whereas the LTSS is a work visa and comes with no benefits.

Do you guys have any experience with this or any recommendations?

Best,
    Claudia (Netherlands)

Hi Claudia...

SMC takes time, that's true... but if you are not in a rush, that's a great way to start your life in NZ.

when you said that "LTSS is a work visa and comes with no benefits" what benefits???

I am in a work visa for two years (I moved to NZ with a job) and I have access to public health and for the length of my visa I was able to get insurance and other benefits... yes is true my time here does not count for residence... but I am accumulating time working in NZ and that is extra points for SMC.

But after 6 months here, I applied for SMC and we are waiting for the CO.

I will recommend you to start looking for jobs... and apply to them! My intension was never to move to NZ... but I got the dream job! and here I am...

In a rush to come here = Work Visa with a job offer... you want to come in a year time = SMC... you want to come tomorrow = student visa or tourist...

Good luck!

Hello Yessica. Can a student visa make way for applying for work visa? Im afraid that if after my student visa expires, they will sent me back to the Philippines.

Two things. If you get offered a skilled job which qualifies while your student visa is still valid, you can apply for a work visa, e.g. Essential Skills, or Work to Residence (which they are now calling a LTSSL work visa).

If you are doing a course that is of the standard to qualify, after it finishes, you can get a Post Study Work Visa (either sort) https://www.immigration.govt.nz/sear...%20work%20visa, which allows you more time to live and work in NZ, to look around and find a job that will let you apply for a work visa and/or residence.

Edited to say, I've just realized I answered this to you before on another thread. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....145#post541145