Thread: applying for smc while partnership residency in progress

Default applying for smc while partnership residency in progress

Hi there. I was wondering if it is possible to apply for skilled migrant category residency or extension of work visa under essential skills if you have a pending residency visa based on partnership. The thing is my partner got a job offer somewhere and we will be living apart and this has happened before but we have evidences of how we made contact. His medicals are due to expire in November 2016 and his work visa is due to expire December 2016. We thought if will it be possible to change his residency into SMC as we feel immigration might question that we will be living apart again. Though we have plans of me moving up to where he is to be together again. Our residency visa has just been submitted last 4 August so we dont have a case officer yet and I belive that sometimes it takes about 7 months to get a case officer. Your thoughts on this please. Thank you! I am currently on a permanent residency visa and my partner's visa is a work visa under partnership.
    Last edited by pauline_lpsp; 13th August 2016 at 02:28 PM.

Yes, he can apply for a work visa or residence in his own right.

Hi jandm.. what are the chances of us getting a refund for the application for partnership residency if he goes ahead and apply for the skilled migrant visa? Thanks!

None, I imagine. You could ask, of course, but don't be surprised at refusal.