Thread: ANZSCO codes and a few other hints for our EOI!

Default ANZSCO codes and a few other hints for our EOI!

Hi all,

First of all, thank you to all the regular posters on this forum!! Your advice has been beyond useful so far!

My partner and I are already in New Zealand. My accredited employer's work visa has just been issued, and his partnership work visa application is currently being processed (until then he has a working holiday visa). We would like to send in our application for Skilled Migrant Resident Visas right away, so I have a few questions about our EOI that I hope some/one you might have some input on!

My main question is about which ANZSCO code to use, so I'll start by giving some information about my situation:
    I work as a commodities trader - 222111 (per my job title and my current work visa), however the ANZSCO tasks don't match my duties very well. A more appropriate match is the "financial dealer NEC - 222299", but again, this is not a perfect match. For example, the financial dealer's ANZSCO tasks include tasks done "on behalf of clients", whereas in my job I do these tasks on behalf of my employer. Another example, one task is "analysing financial markets and financial market products", whereas I analyse commodities markets and commodities market financial products.

Questions:
    1. Does anyone know whether these differences will cause an issue? (specifically the "on behalf of clients" rather than "on behalf of my employer" part .. I think I can probably explain to the CO that a commodities market = financial market for commodities).

2. Should there be any issue if I apply for this new visa using a different ANZSCO code than I used for my accredited employer's work visa?

3. Will INZ just use my official job description to decide whether my duties match the ANZSCO core tasks? Or could I give a letter from my manager giving more detail about my tasks that match the ANZSCO code? (my job description is vague when it comes to the duties I perform which match the ANZSCO). If the letter from my manager is an option, would I hand this in at the ITA stage, or would he send it in when INZ contacts him?

4. My job description says a third-level qualification is "desirable" not required. Will this influence the CO to think that it is unskilled? (I plan to use my qualification to prove that I am qualified for the job per ANZSCO).

Extra questions:
    5. Does anyone know the cut-off time for sending in my EOI, if I want it to be included in the draw this Wednesday 17th August?

6. We have over 140 points which we can prove immediately (age, current job & a qualification on the "List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment"). We could also claim points for other things, but is it obligatory to do this? (given that we already have enough points). Would the CO still want us to prove aspects of our lives that we aren't claiming points for, or find it suspicious if we don't?
    ... The reason is that I'm really hoping that this application will be processed quickly, so I would like to avoid slowing it down or adding more expenses! For example, we plan not to claim points for my partner's qualification (it would need translation, NZQA assessment and he would need another English language exam to meet the IELTS 6.5 requirement), we also plan not to claim points for our work experience (4 years each) because surely having to contact ex-employers in Europe and translate their replies would also slow down the process!

I hope that these questions aren't too much for a first post! I would love to get input from some of you if you have anything to add

Hello.

1 and 2. Job DESCRIPTIONS are what are important, not the job TITLES. After all, an employer can call a job anything he likes, that makes sense for him within his organization. It's the skills you use in carrying out your job that INZ are required to scrutinize, to see that you are 'worth' granting a visa to. INZ have quite often been known to change the ANZSCO number on a visa application if they could see that another one was more appropriate than the one the applicant had picked on in the first place. I don't think the difference between what was on your current visa and what you put on the new one would make any difference. What's done is done, you have the visa, and if you, working the job now, have found that the other category seems more of a close fit, I don't think anyone could hold that against you. In any case, if INZ had any queries about this, they could be discussed and sorted out during the processing of the case.

3. Yes, you can use your manager's amplification of the original job description to make things clearer. In your place, I would put this in with the ITA. INZ will be contacting your employers in any case, as part of the verification about your job and the company, and they will probably, as well as sending a questionnaire, talk to you, and to your employer, to make sure that everything tallies. But having sent the 'correction' in the first place ought to save time and make things easier, by starting from the right place, not any wrong impression that might have been made by the basic job description.

4. That shouldn't make any difference. (There are many jobs in the financial and IT sectors which are held by people whose skills have been learnt by doing the work over years of experience, though their original qualification was in some other field. Such people can be AS qualified, if not more so, by that experience, than someone whose degree shows they've learnt the theory - that said with no disrespect intended to either side.)

5. All applications "in the pool" (submitted) before 12.59 p.m., fortnightly, Wednesday, with more than 140 points (or 100 points, with a job offer) will be selected. (That from ChrisMwn, an LIA who posts on this forum.)

6. No, you don't have to claim any points that you don't need, and given that you have a skilled NZ job already, you only need a minimum of 100.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello.

1 and 2. Job DESCRIPTIONS are what are important, not the job TITLES. After all, an employer can call a job anything he likes, that makes sense for him within his organization. It's the skills you use in carrying out your job that INZ are required to scrutinize, to see that you are 'worth' granting a visa to. INZ have quite often been known to change the ANZSCO number on a visa application if they could see that another one was more appropriate than the one the applicant had picked on in the first place. I don't think the difference between what was on your current visa and what you put on the new one would make any difference. What's done is done, you have the visa, and if you, working the job now, have found that the other category seems more of a close fit, I don't think anyone could hold that against you. In any case, if INZ had any queries about this, they could be discussed and sorted out during the processing of the case.

3. Yes, you can use your manager's amplification of the original job description to make things clearer. In your place, I would put this in with the ITA. INZ will be contacting your employers in any case, as part of the verification about your job and the company, and they will probably, as well as sending a questionnaire, talk to you, and to your employer, to make sure that everything tallies. But having sent the 'correction' in the first place ought to save time and make things easier, by starting from the right place, not any wrong impression that might have been made by the basic job description.

4. That shouldn't make any difference. (There are many jobs in the financial and IT sectors which are held by people whose skills have been learnt by doing the work over years of experience, though their original qualification was in some other field. Such people can be AS qualified, if not more so, by that experience, than someone whose degree shows they've learnt the theory - that said with no disrespect intended to either side.)

5. All applications "in the pool" (submitted) before 12.59 p.m., fortnightly, Wednesday, with more than 140 points (or 100 points, with a job offer) will be selected. (That from ChrisMwn, an LIA who posts on this forum.)

6. No, you don't have to claim any points that you don't need, and given that you have a skilled NZ job already, you only need a minimum of 100.
    Just to back up J and M's comments

xxxx99 (NEC) is always a good option where the role and ANSCOI description arent a good match. I've used 222299 previously for a client in a similar role to yours, without any issue.

Thank you both very much for your replies!

I have submitted our EOI - hopefully it will get pulled tomorrow!