Thread: Monthly costs of running 4-bed house Auckland

Default Monthly costs of running 4-bed house Auckland

Hello, we're new to the forum.

My husband has been offered a job in Auckland starting January and we are desperately trying to do some research so that he can make a decision about the role. We are a family of 5 (3 primary age children).

I am looking for some advice to get an idea of the cost of utilities per month in order to work out whether what he has been offered will be affordable. I am assuming that we will rent a 4 bedroom house somewhere in the suburbs north of Auckland. (The cost of this looks scary enough!!)

I'm thinking stuff like
    Water rates/meter
    Council rates ?? included in rental cost??
    Gas
    Electric
    Phone/internet
    Anything else I might not have considered!

Thank you very much to anyone who can help.

Hello

I'm not the best person to help you as I live alone, but do run/heat a 3 bed home in Auckland. Hopefully someone with a family can chip in.

Water - This should be covered by landlord in a rental. If not, you would be looking at approx $60 ish for 4 per month

Council Rates- Again this is covered by the landlord

Electric- I spend about $200 per month in winter to heat house. I would expect this to be more for a family and really does depend on your source of heating. I use a heat pump and also oil radiators in bedroom. Looking at less than $150 in summer.

Gas- you may have mains or bottle, but depends on the house. I currently dont have gas but when I did for my hot water, the total energy bill was about the same.

Internet- I use Vodafone and have naked broadband without a landline- $90 per month unlimited. Add about $20 for a landline. Lots of providers that probably are a bit cheaper

House Insurance- Contents insurance if renting- also covers you for legal liability if you do any major damage to the house. Depending on content value but $50-$100 per month.

Medical- Not all medical funded - doctors visits can be $50-$70, prescriptions only $5. www.southerncross.co.nz offers private medical/cover of day to day bills/surgery.

Car rego-depends on car safety record (acc levies) - Approx $100-$200 ish per year
    Public transport - www.at.govt.nz Fares much cheaper with a HOP card (like a London Oyster card)

Hope this helps for the time being.
    Last edited by lou76; 21st August 2016 at 08:58 PM.

Lou76, thank you so much. You have mentioned several things there that I hadn't even thought of, v useful.

Is car rego like a car tax? And then we'd pay car insurance on top of that?

Will definitely look into the hop card.

Hubby will get southern cross included in his package so will look into how much it would cost to add the rest of he family to his.

If anyone with a large family is able to help with more figures, that would be great.

Hi

Yes, car rego is like UK Car tax- you get a card to display in windscreen. Car insurance isn't compulsory here, but obviously worth getting! Mine is only about $50 a month in Auckland, but is quite an old car now.

Hop card, you pay $10 for, as a one off, but much much cheaper and more convenient- I normally just top mine up online.

For Southern Cross, I would certainly ask if his work can include the whole family as part of his package as it is quite expensive.

Oh and I think you mentioned living on the North Shore? If this is the case, you also need to pay for rubbish collection- either through pre paid bags (about $2 each) or through subscription www.wastemanagement.co.nz Recycling collection is free.

Groceries will probably be your biggest shock- lots of threads on this.
    Last edited by lou76; 21st August 2016 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BazCat View Post

My husband has been offered a job in Auckland starting January and we are desperately trying to do some research so that he can make a decision about the role. We are a family of 5 (3 primary age children).

I am looking for some advice to get an idea of the cost of utilities per month in order to work out whether what he has been offered will be affordable. I am assuming that we will rent a 4 bedroom house somewhere in the suburbs north of Auckland. (The cost of this looks scary enough!!)

I'm thinking stuff like
    Water rates/meter
    Gas
    Electric
    Phone/internet

Internet monthly unlimited - from $ 69.99 ASDL / $80 Fibre
    Mobile plan - from $ 45
    Public Transport - you are charge for each trip and for distance...
    Electricity - Depending of the company - they will charge you every day from $ 0.81 to $ 2.5 dollars - and for kWh from $ 0.23 to $ 5 - prices will depend if is a house or apartment - check online for power/electricity companies - like genesis, trustpower
    Water - depends... some contract rent include 'water' - but you will need to pay for hot water

Quote Originally Posted by BazCat View Post

I'm thinking stuff like
    Water rates/meter
    Gas
    Electric
    Phone/internet

Food and rent are the big ones. 4 bed must be about 600/week now I imagine. Spend time and do the sums properly as the cost of living is very expensive.