Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partner Based Work Visa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Partner Based Work Visa

Hey guys! I am just seeking some clarification from one of the admins or from anyone who works from INZ (or anyone else who can help).

If I am applying for a temporary work visa based on partnership and my partner and I have been together for about a year and a half but due to me working full time in another country and he is doing his Phd and working in NZ as an NZ permanent resident will our trips to see each other and staying at each others homes count as timed lived together?

I ask because I know that they really want to know that time has been spent living together for this visa to be approved.

We began the relationship while he was in NZ and since I work and live in another country we have never been able to lease anywhere together. Currently we have his 6 weeks with him visiting me last July- August, 3 weeks from me visiting him in NZ this Feb-March and he is currently here visiting me for 5 weeks (3 and a half weeks already passed.) So 3 months to date.

I live with my father and he wrote a letter stating that we both stay there and we both pay bills towards the house as well as my partner submitted his lease agreement from his apartment we stayed in when we were in NZ. My name can't go on it as his landlord wasn't really notified that I was there and so can't vouch for me. But we do have pictures of us in the apartment and a letter from him mom ( who also lives in NZ) confirming that we lived there together while I went to NZ on a visitor visa.

Would this be enough? Or will these visas only be approved if there's a solid lease agreement.

Thanks for any help,

Pat

A lease in joint names is NOT a solid requirement, but it's one of those pieces of evidence which is helpful. There is no certainty that you will be granted a visa, and I imagine you will have to argue your case quite hard, but the matter of no lease doesn't rule it out.

Keep collecting evidence. INZ commonly require more evidence (covering the processing time) just before the visa is issued. You will also need to use some of this evidence all over again when you are in a position to apply for Residence, so keep copies in case of some not being returned.

You may have seen these old threads https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof which have discussion and more ideas about partnership evidence.

You will probably have seen that you need to account for time spent apart, so INZ will probably want proof of your work, and of your partner's student status.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    A lease in joint names is NOT a solid requirement, but it's one of those pieces of evidence which is helpful. There is no certainty that you will be granted a visa, and I imagine you will have to argue your case quite hard, but the matter of no lease doesn't rule it out.

Keep collecting evidence. INZ commonly require more evidence (covering the processing time) just before the visa is issued. You will also need to use some of this evidence all over again when you are in a position to apply for Residence, so keep copies in case of some not being returned.

You may have seen these old threads https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof which have discussion and more ideas about partnership evidence.

You will probably have seen that you need to account for time spent apart, so INZ will probably want proof of your work, and of your partner's student status.

Thanks so much JandM, I submitted the application last week Friday at the Washington Branch and we do have both my proof of work and his proof of his Phd included. With the lack of the lease agreement I tried to included everything else I could. So we also have his car insurance with my name as well as my life insurance with him as the beneficiary.
    We have a joint bank account with a NZ bank with evidence of transfers. Hopefully it'll be enough, I had posted a detailed list of all my evidence here http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50439 .

I will keep you updated on the result! Thanks for all the advice.

We applied for another year working visa. That was issued in 4 working days.
    On the cover letter we stated that we were applying for this visa, to get more time to prepare our residency visa.

Then about 3 months later we submitted the same file again, plus the evidence from the past 3 months. 8 weeks later it was all done and dusted. No questions asked.

Kia ora, I just recently registered. I dont know how to start a new thread but since the title of this post is similar to what I am looking for. Can anyone give their advice regarding my situation?

Hey Odennel

That sounds great and seamless! We put a cover letter as well as a document titled "reason for not living together" highlighting the main reason for our separation.

Which branch did you submit your initial work visa application to and when did you do so?

Hello. You haven't said what it is you want to ask.

How to start a new thread. Begin from the main menu. http://www.enz.org/forum/forum.php Click on the blue title of the sub-forum where you would like your thread to appear, e.g. Immigration, and a window will open listing all the threads already in that sub-forum. Near the top left of that window, you will see a blue radio button marked +Post New Thread. Click on that, and a form will open with boxes for your title and text.

Patti, good luck.

Hi JandM!

Washington Branch works fast it seems! I got back a response already!

They said that since we don't have proof of living together based on the documents provided they have opted not to decline my application but to give me approval for a 8 month general visitor visa. They advised that this would allow me to join my partner in NZ so we ca live together and then I can reapply for the partner based work visa once we have the documentation. I'm still thankful because its much much better than a decline but my concern is that since I can't work and my partner is on stipend with his PhD program, money is a concern. Do you think if we have a tenancy agreement set up with his parents and we can show proof of a monthly deposit to their account that they would take this evidence? Or do you think it's best we have our own tenancy agreement. We could just tough it out in a small studio until I get work but im afraid we may spread ourselves thin.

as per J and M above, don't get hung up on having a tenancy agreement. What INZ are allowing you to do is to be together in NZ. For your next application provide what information you have that you are currently living together, evidence of financial inter -dependence and the usual photos, letters, cards etc and evidence of common travel or holidays together etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast