Thread: Non-Partner to Partner

Default Non-Partner to Partner

Hey there,

My situation is a bit unusual, so I'm here to ask a question and possibly someone experienced could help me, any help is much appreciated!

I've known my partner for a long time, about 2.5 years, but we haven't been together as a couple until September 2015. We had great time together, however, soon I got my Work Visa to NZ and had to move on.
    We kept contact throughout year, made plans and finally got an opportunity to see each other - I can get a vacation and I invited her to stay over with me for a couple of weeks.

She has applied for a visitor visa (not the partner of a worker), we planned a vacation here in September 2016, after that she got work contract in Japan and after that we want to finally move in on more permanent basis.
    I also applied for a Residence visa (under SMC) and said that she's my partner, but not included her in my application.

However, the reason we didn't apply for more "partnership-based" visas is that we don't have enough time together to prove stability of our relationship.
    We spent about a month together as a couple, though we've been friends for much longer than that. We don't have proof to our relationship besides couple of train tickets and one photo (I know, should have been more vigilant about taking photos together, but oh well).

Our plan is to spend a vacation together, she'll then leave for a job in another country, then come back to our country of origin (Ukraine, just in case it matter) and apply for another Visitor visa, but as I would (hopefully) be a Resident I would be sponsoring her application for a much longer duration of stay, we plan to get married some time next year and then for her to apply for Residency based on Partnership (as we get enough proof)

My only concern in this situation is how INZ is going to look at it? Currently she has just applied for her Visitor visa and plane tickets are on 1st of September.
    Would they find her "bona fine" visitor, seeing how I'm here and I'm inviting her to stay? I have provided couple of formal and informal letters inviting her and explaining our situation.
    Should I be concerned or am I just overcomplicating things?

Thank you very much for spending time reading this post.
    Any help on how to proceed further or input would be really valuable.

Regards,
    iijaachok

As she has proof of her forthcoming job in another country, showing she has good reason to leave NZ again at the end of her visit in September, she shouldn't have problems at that point.

When you are ready to take the step of sponsoring her under partnership regulations, it will have to be on the basis of the evidence of living together that you will have gathered at that time - we know from experience that INZ take applications seriously with 2 - 3 months' proof, leading up to the time of the application. They will rarely include records of previous periods of time. And they aren't allowed to consider what people SAY their intentions are.

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post

When you are ready to take the step of sponsoring her under partnership regulations, it will have to be on the basis of the evidence of living together that you will have gathered at that time
    I'm also concerned about that, so I was thinking if I should better support her temporary visit for a longer duration as a sponsor, because there's very high possibility we wouldn't have enough proof to say our relationship is stable.
    I thought that would be more 'safer' option to live together for some period - say, 6 months - as a couple, and for my partner to visit me for that duration, but, again, not as a partner from INZ perspective, but as a sponsored person.
    After that we would have a lot more evidence and she could apply for any kind of partnership-based visa.
    Last edited by iijaachok; 16th August 2016 at 09:02 PM.

I thought that would be more 'safer' option to live together for some period - say, 6 months - as a couple, and for my partner to visit me for that duration, but, again, not as a partner from INZ perspective, but as a sponsored person.
    After that we would have a lot more evidence and she could apply for any kind of partnership-based visa.
    I know what you mean, but there isn't a visa that is designated for that purpose. INZ have very occasionally allowed a visitor's visa for a would-be partner gathering evidence, but it is NOT usual.