Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Californians Traveling to New Zealand. Looking to meet up with Ex Pats!

Default Californians Traveling to New Zealand. Looking to meet up with Ex Pats!

Hi everyone!

We are considering moving to New Zealand in the next couple of years, and are travelling to NZ in Sept for a three week trip to see how we like it in person.

Are there any Ex-pat groups or something along those lines we could meet while there? We believe that getting first-hand info from locals who have made a similar move would be invaluable.

We are planning to fly into Auckland, drive to Tauranga, then to Wellington. From there, fly to Nelson and spend a few days there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Staci

Hi Staci,

There's a Meetup group for expats in Auckland -- https://www.meetup.com/Expats-in-Auckland/. I haven't attended any of their events but they have over 2,000 members so it could be worthwhile to check it out while you're here.

There aren't that many Americans living in New Zealand. We have a lot of Brits, South Africans, Indians and Chinese but I only know a few Americans here besides myself. It's a great place to be, but I don't think that many Americans think about it and, for those who do, the cost of living and USD-to-NZD rate may be a deterrent.

I have a blog I started about Life in NZ for my friends and family -- it's got a bit of an American slant to it so you might appreciate it. https://lifeinnz365.com/

Why are you moving? Any idea where you'll live yet? I live in Auckland and am happy to share my experiences if you'd like.

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by wmgilbert View Post
    Hi Staci,

There's a Meetup group for expats in Auckland -- https://www.meetup.com/Expats-in-Auckland/. I haven't attended any of their events but they have over 2,000 members so it could be worthwhile to check it out while you're here.

There aren't that many Americans living in New Zealand. We have a lot of Brits, South Africans, Indians and Chinese but I only know a few Americans here besides myself. It's a great place to be, but I don't think that many Americans think about it and, for those who do, the cost of living and USD-to-NZD rate may be a deterrent.

I have a blog I started about Life in NZ for my friends and family -- it's got a bit of an American slant to it so you might appreciate it. https://lifeinnz365.com/

Why are you moving? Any idea where you'll live yet? I live in Auckland and am happy to share my experiences if you'd like.

Wendy
    What a nice blog!! I love your "Christmas in July" post. That will be quite an adjustment if we decide to make the move.

Thank you for the meet up recommendation. I will definitely check that out!

We are thinking of moving for many reasons. It seems like New Zealand is a beautiful, safe and politically sane country.

The areas we are interested in are the areas with the most temperate weather. So Nelson and Tauranga are high on our priority list of places to check out while we're there.

Would love to hear more about your experiences as an American living there!

Thanks for that Staci, it's been fun writing it. I would agree with your assessment of the country!

I don't know much about Nelson but my partner lived in Tauranga for quite a while. It's a beautiful town and has fantastic beaches, although it can be a bit crazy in the summertime from what I hear. I posted an entry today about unrefrigerated eggs, an odd thing for me to get used to but apparently 'the norm' in Europe, Australia and New Zealand?

It would be good to get your thoughts on the expat group if you do join.

Wendy

We live in Cambridge and love it. We are from the UK but spent 20 yrs in the US. Our kids love it too.They were born in the US but are more Kiwi now. Ask away if you have any questions?

We moved to Nelson from Colorado in 2014. Love living here and have opened our business hoping to gain residency in the next few months. Stop by and say hello if in the area. https://goo.gl/maps/an7h1GnQNU92

I live in the Tasman district, next to Nelson. I know a few fellow Americans but don't know of a US meet up group in the area. Feel free to ask any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Heynekamp View Post
    We moved to Nelson from Colorado in 2014. Love living here and have opened our business hoping to gain residency in the next few months. Stop by and say hello if in the area. https://goo.gl/maps/an7h1GnQNU92
    Thanks everyone for responding! Heynekamp, we will be in Nelson and we'll definitely stop by and say hello!

We'd be really interested in hearing American expats experiences (good and bad). The main things were looking for are temperate sunny weather, safe neighborhoods and great schools. Are there any other areas of the country we should be checking out? Especially from the prospective of a family with young kids?

Thanks again!

Cambridge Waikato, about 1 hr inland from both coasts.

We moved from Reno NV to Wellington region ( Lower Hutt ) in 2014. We did live in Vista Ca for many years while the wife was a USMC. I have met a few Expat Americans but most of them have been here for many years. The costs of moving here and adjusting to the costs I think scares most Americans away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast