Thread: Nelson for the weekend

Default Nelson for the weekend

I have weekend in Nelson with the kids soon. Hubby will be teaching and then we have 2 days free together. Boys are almost 10 and 12. 2nd week in October. Suggestions of things to do with them? I want to include Abel Tasman. Mr 11 has had recent medical issues so not wanting huge long hikes but walks etc are fine. Thanks.

Wharariki beach is pretty amazing but a bit of a drive. The whispering falls is pretty cool as well http://www.newzealand.com/us/article/whispering-falls/ You can rent bikes and ride along the great taste trail (electric bikes available). Have fun!

You can drive to Marahau and walk into Abel Tasman but I recommend taking a boat in for a day walk if you only have a few hours. Get off around Anchorage or Bark Bay to get to the best part of the park. Boats leave from Marahau and Kaiteriteri.

Mapua is a little village on the estuary with a few shops and restaurants. You can hire bikes and take the ferry to Rabbit Island. The trails are very flat and there is 8km of beach.

Tahunanui beach has some quaint small town activities such as mini putt, go karts, and water slide. You can hire paddle boards and lessons from Moana.

Nelson Lakes is about an hour away. There are some flat walks there.

If you make the journey to Golden Bay, Anatoki Salmon Farm and Waikoropupu Springs are cool in addition to the above mentioned Wharariki Beach.

Keep your eye on events at Playhouse Cafe, Boatshed Cafe, Founder's Park.

Happy Valley Adventures has quad bikes and horse riding etc.

Richmond has ten pin bowling at Action Sports if the weather is crap. There is also a wave pool in Richmond.

It's not the most happening place but there is enough to do to fill in a weekend.

Thank you so especially to kiwieagle for lengthy reply. I have been there before and loved Abel Tasman and Nelson, will have a look at some of your suggestions.