Thread: Proof of address for opening a bank account: What is required?

Question Proof of address for opening a bank account: What is required?

I'm flying to NZ to look at property . . . in preparation for making the big move. I'm hold a valid Australian passport, but live in the USA.
    All banks say they require photo ID (passport works) and proof of address to open a full service account.
    I'm finding conflicting advice on what address needs to be proved. Some places seem to think a letter from a hotel will do. Others seem to think that bills, etc, from a foreign address are good.
    Which is it?

It seems quite unclear even if you google " NZ banks proof of address."

I did find this on the BNZ site:

If you have recently arrived in New Zealand from overseas, you can also use the documents listed below:

A bank statement showing your overseas residential address.
    A utility bill from your power, gas, water, landline phone, or internet service provider showing your overseas address.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 29th August 2016 at 07:36 AM.

When I landed here, I have approached banks to open a bank account, since I don't have much of address proof they said I can request back to post a letter to my address and with that letter I can open a back account here.

Anyway, I managed to open a back account with my friend referral who is already having an account with them.

I think some banks allowing to open a back account online from overseas, and once landed here go directly to the bank with the proofs to get the account done.

Hi, You can open a bank account from offshore to deposit money in your account. I opened an account with BNZ from India, and deposited money offshore. But you can withdraw or activate your account once you landed here. That time you should provide your passport and Nz address of confirmation at least for one week is minimum requirement. To achieve the best option is to stay with any paying guest accommodation not motels, some motels provide so you ensure with motel whether they provide this address confirmation after one week you can go to BNZ bank with this letter and passport they will activate your account and provide an efpos card as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber View Post
    I'm flying to NZ to look at property . . . in preparation for making the big move. I'm hold a valid Australian passport, but live in the USA.
    All banks say they require photo ID (passport works) and proof of address to open a full service account.
    I'm finding conflicting advice on what address needs to be proved. Some places seem to think a letter from a hotel will do. Others seem to think that bills, etc, from a foreign address are good.
    Which is it?
    BNZ are definitely fine with a letter from your hotel/motel
    You can open your account online prior to travelling, and deposit money into it. You only need the address verification once you get to NZ and want to start using the account for transactions/withdrawals.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy10 View Post
    BNZ are definitely fine with a letter from your hotel/motel
    You can open your account online prior to travelling, and deposit money into it. You only need the address verification once you get to NZ and want to start using the account for transactions/withdrawals.
    Not anymore on the letter from your hotel. Strict anti-money laundering rules.

https://www.bnz.co.nz/support/bankin...d-requirements

From their website:

If you have recently arrived in New Zealand from overseas, you can also use the documents listed below:
    •A bank statement showing your overseas residential address.
    •A utility bill from your power, gas, water, landline phone, or internet service provider showing your overseas address.

When I first arrived and my accommodation was quite fluid, I used a mailing address provided by https://www.privatebox.co.nz

This meant the my post could follow me and for a small fee I was able to satisfy the bank, the IRD and most people.

If your accommodation is more fixed then simply register with your local GP (doctor) and ask them to provide a letter to confirm your address.

If you have recently arrived in New Zealand from overseas, you can also use the materials listed below: A bank statement showing your overseas address in. A utility bill from your power, gas, water, landline, or internet service provider to find the address of your overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber View Post
    Which is it?
    Have you manage to open bank account? I tried few banks and said it need to sight a visa, not able to open with just visitor visa. Tried ASB, ANZ and BNZ. Any luck on opening account with visitor visa? Which bank is allowed? I have proof of address and photo id, but no working visa.

Thanks.