Thread: Moving to Hawkes Bay

Red face Moving to Hawkes Bay

Hi,
    We are a family of 3 our son is 10 and are looking at moving out to new Zealand , my husband is considering a job in Hastings . We would be looking to make the move in January.
    Any advice on nice areas to live with good schools? I won't be working initially. We haven't got extravagant tastes what would the average family of 3 need to earn to have a decent standard of living.
    totally new to this so any advice or guidance would be appreciated!

that probably depends on your income relative to housing costs. Are you renting, or buying? Food is relatively cheap. You probably would want to avoid Flaxmere in Hastings. At age 11 your son is likely to be considered of an age for an "intermediate" school for years 7 and 8. There may be options of some schools that continue of as a full primary from year 0-8.

It's hard to define what a decent standard of living is, as everyone obviously has different standards. Would you want to have a car each for example? Food may be relatively cheap compared to other things in NZ but if you are used to shopping in places like tesco in the UK, then you will find it expensive.
    You can find food prices on the Countdown supermarket online site, do a sample shop.
    House prices, to rent and buy can be found on trademe.co.nz
    Another thing to think about is how the new salary compares to that in the UK and what standard of living your UK salary gives you.

Excellent age for your son to move over though!

Default Hi

Hi,

My husband is also being interviewed for a job in Hawkes Bay. If all goes well, we are looking are heading that way by end of Feb or early Mar 2017. We have 2 children, 10 and 8 years old. It would be lovely to know how you get on.

Looking forward to hear all about your adventure!

Best wishes
    DPIK

Quote Originally Posted by juliewilly76 View Post
    Hi,
    We are a family of 3 our son is 10 and are looking at moving out to new Zealand , my husband is considering a job in Hastings . We would be looking to make the move in January.
    Any advice on nice areas to live with good schools? I won't be working initially. We haven't got extravagant tastes what would the average family of 3 need to earn to have a decent standard of living.
    totally new to this so any advice or guidance would be appreciated!

I'd be looking at buying a house in Frimley, Mayfair, parts of Parkvale & Mahora. Havelock North also is a good place to look.

A lot of people commute between Napier and Hastings so consider Napier as well.