Thread: Question Regarding USA based Retirement Funds and Taxes:

Default Question Regarding USA based Retirement Funds and Taxes:

Hello:
    I have written to IRD in NZ, but have not heard back. I am trying to determine a question I have about taxes and monies coming into NZ after we return home. My husband and I are both NZ born, coming to the USA what was meant to be for two years, but, we bought a home and life went on. We are now retirement age, both recieve Social Security and I receive on retirement from the State of Washington as I worked for our local school district for twenty nine years. My question to IRD was, I understand, if my information is correct, there is no double tax on Social Security (paying tax in USA and NZ on the gross amount), however, what about the WA State retirement? If anyone has any tax information on income for returning Kiwis, I would sure appreciate it. We have always intended to come home, have had many trips back and forth, but it never occurred to me to worry about paying double taxes, although it makes sense we have to pay our way along with everyone else. Thank you so much for your consideration.

Hi Maggie,

I know this thread is over a year old, and sadly without any answers...but I was wondering if you (or any of the experts here) found any more information regarding your questions?

In our case my wife and I have Permanent Residence in NZ. We returned to the states for a little more than 10 years and are now looking at moving back "home". We're also curious as to how the IRD will handle our U.S. IRA and Social Security distributions. We filed taxes in both the U.S. and NZ previously. We weren't "double-taxed" on income we earned while we lived in NZ back then so we understand how that works, however we aren't so sure how it will work for retirement fund distributions, particularly 401ks/IRAs.

If you were able to sort things out or have any recommendations for accountants that knew what they were doing, that would be terrific.

Best wishes and TIA!

Maggie hasn't been on the forum since February 2017, so may not see your post.

Ah. Thanks for that!

I posted a separate question in the "Money" area so we'll see if anyone bites.