Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welly rentals?

Default Welly rentals?

I'm looking for a house rental in Welly so if anyone just happens to trip across a fabulous deal, please let me know.

Based on my explorations and reading the forum suggestions I'm looking at the Johnsonville, Khandallah, Eastbourne and Upper and Lower Hutt areas. My family is 3 adults (me, husband, MIL) plus two dogs (Australian shepherds or kelpies who are perfect, of course, and well-behaved). Mostly we just need a little elbow room, yard for the pups and easy access to train/bus 'cause this American isn't quite ready to drive on the "other" side of the road. I'm open to other areas, these just seem to be the ones that have more space and aren't too pricey.

I know this is a long shot but I've been amazed at the wealth of information forumites have about everything. That and I know when I'm house hunting I've come across great places that just don't fit my needs but might be great for someone else.

Thanks and cheers!

Susan

We found Jo De Jong at Guardian First National Rentals absolutely fantastic. Have a look at www.guardianfirstnational.co.nz , we managed to rent something and sort the paperwork out from the UK with her.

Hi Susan,

My advice is to get the Dominion post first thing on Saturday morning and phone around all the rentals that sound reasonable, and make appointments to view them as soon as you can (if they haven't got open homes arranged). You've got to be REALLY quick cos anything decent goes VERY quickly. We've rented 2 houses since we've been here and we've got both out of the paper. That way you don't have to pay a week's rent in agent fees, and both of our landlords have been fine. Good luck! Drop me a line if you need any more info!

Cheers,
    Jodie

Wow, you weren't kidding about how fast you need to be! By the time I called Saturday afternoon, anything even remotely workable was long gone. Amazing. Anyhow, I've got until late January and now that I know how the game works, I'll be better at it.

SizzlingBadger, I emailed Jo as well so I can play more than one angle.

Thanks for the advice.

You probably already know, but trademe is great for rental properties ( although sometimes the pics can be downright useless or misleading at best)

Not sure about living up in the Hutts and travelling everywhere by bus/train though...I mean, the bus service is good, but I imagine you'll quickly tire of having to rely on it the further out from town you are.
    I get sick of catching buses & live 5 mins from Welly centre

Oops, #2 on the list should be www.sabbaticalhomes.com

Thank you Susan, this list is really useful!

You're welcome. I figure that the point of this forum is sharing information. It sure has been an incredible resource for me so its the least I can do in return.

Susan

Hi Susan,

Karen and I are in a simular position, we're in Welly for the 18th Jan and need a rental quickity quick. We were told by one of the rental agencies to start looking from the 5th onwards as Landlords didn't want to have to wait a whole month before they get someone in.

Thanks for the list, it's gonna prove realy useful, good luck yourselves!!!

Rich and Karen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast