Thread: Living in Nelson (areas to live and to avoid)

Default Living in Nelson (areas to live and to avoid)

Hi guys,

I'll be moving to Nelson around Nov, coming from Singapore.
    My company is located in Richmond.
    Any suggestion on which areas should I live (or if any, need to be avoided) in Nelson?

Your thought is very much appreciate.

Thanks.

What's your budget? What's your car and family situation? Do you prefer rural, small town, suburban, or more city central? What would make you want to avoid living in an area?

Hi KiwiEagle,

My budget is around $300 - $350 since it's just me and my wife.
    Is it possible to get a place in small town or suburban with this budget?

I don't think I could afford buying a car on our 1st or 2nd month in NZ, so meanwhile need to go by bicycle?
    And I would like to avoid places that are known for the gangs/crime activity are high for living.

I hope I don't ask to much for my budget.
    Last edited by IndoGaruda; 3rd October 2016 at 10:39 PM.

You probably already know this... Trademe.co.nz is a good resource to get a feeling for prices for both home rentals and used cars. Owning a (used) car is much more affordable in NZ than Singapore, or a scooter could work (I guess that is what you meant by "bike"?)

Keep in mind that lower priced home rentals in NZ generally are not well insulated. Even Nelson, with its best in NZ climate, is going to be a big adjustment from the heat of Singapore. So you might end up with higher than expected home heating costs. I found it helped to have some comfy warm clothes (sweater and light hat) to wear around the house and even for sleeping. That way you don't end up throwing away extra money on your heating costs. Or you might need to splurge a bot on the rental cost to get a well insulated home. You'll recoup some of the cost though energy savings and less money spent on sweaters
    Last edited by tk1; 4th October 2016 at 03:10 AM.

thank you tk1