Thread: things to do as i arrived to Auckland

Default things to do as i arrived to Auckland

hello to everybody,

my husband got search for job Visa, he arrived to Auckland three days ago. already created bank account, registered sim card and in the process of transferring his license to NZ license.
    he is currently searching for a job related to system and control engineering, and he already got the tax number.
    i would appreciate it if you could advice what are the important steps and things that he has to do at this stage?
    we are afraid that there are some procedures or things that he has to do and we don;t want to miss it.
    any advice is highly appreciated.
    thanks in advance

Sounds like he's covered the main things, so these are my suggestions (in no particular order):

1. Get a debit card from bank - so you can get money out!
    2. Get online access to your bank from your smartphone - so you can check your balance
    3. Get online access to IRD - so you can claim any tax rebates that might be due after the first year
    4. Join as many or as few supermarket loyal schemes are you can cope with!!!
    5. Kiwi Saver - join it but check who the default provider is and change it if you want to.
    6. The NZ job market goes 'to sleep' as it gets closer to Xmas and doesn't 'wake up' until February, so bare this is mind when he's budgeting.
    7. Start looking for the next property to rent / or buy...
    8. Get a car... you can't do anything without wheels!!

999. Enjoy it,