Thread: Former NZ Resident

Default Former NZ Resident

What a great site! Already learned a ton. My wife and I were granted residence visas in 2005, came to NZ in 2006, but had to return to US in 2007 for family reasons. Now we want to migrate again, BUT EOI is only 120 points (in 2005, 120 was enough). Bummer. Well, my question is whether we should approach this any different given that we've had resident permits before? I'm fully aware of the regs, but don't see any posts from former residents. 120 is without job offer, but both of our qualms/exp are not on skill shortage lists. Would love any thoughts, and YES, I know we should have stayed 2 years the first time;-) Aloha

Hello.

I'm afraid you are back to square one. You will need for at least one of you to have a skilled job offer to get your EOI selected with over 100, less than 140 points. Probably your best chance to get a job is to come to NZ, to meet employers face to face.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello.

I'm afraid you are back to square one. You will need for at least one of you to have a skilled job offer to get your EOI selected with over 100, less than 140 points. Probably your best chance to get a job is to come to NZ, to meet employers face to face.
    Thank you. One follow up - in 2005 we didn't need an NZQA for our US Bachelor of Science degrees, but it seems like we need one now. Did something change with how INZ views US degrees? Thanks again!

The list of qualifications that are exempt from assessment changes every so often. I think what happens when particular foreign degrees disappear from the list is that the NZ course they were previously found to be comparable with, stops running.