Thread: Look, See, Decide for my partner

Default Look, See, Decide for my partner

Hi guys

So, I've read a bit about this stuff through a search on here already, but just want to check I've understood things right. I have fallen in love with an Argentine, who I lived with for 8 months while over there.

He is coming over here for an initial three month stay, and you have no idea how pleased I am to see that he DOES have the right to see if it's the right place for him, or if we will end up moving back there. So, my questions are:

- how does he make INZ aware that he is here on a bona fide holiday, mainly with the intention of visiting me and my family, but if he does like the place, he would like to stay? i.e. a LSD - please note his English is ok, but I don't want him getting into a stressful situation in immigration, but don't want us to look dishonest when our intentions are anything but
    - if we do decide he likes it here, do we then apply for the temporary partner work visa?
    - with it being a visa, he would then be granted an interim visa while we wait, right?
    - would it be necessary for my mother or myself to say that we will be sponsoring him during his three month stay?

Any other help you can offer would be great! Just for the record, he has a return flight as well.
    Last edited by workboot; 7th September 2016 at 10:47 PM.

When the aeroplane is nearing NZ, all the passengers who are from visa-waiver countries will be asked to fill in a card for Immigration. This will include a question about the reason for his trip, and that is where he can enter that it's a holiday, AND a look, see and decide visit for him. Everyone has to go to the Immigration desk when they land, and the officer there will ask him a few questions, no doubt. Lack of stress can't be guaranteed, because that is the moment when the most blameless people FEEL bothered, but honesty is the best policy. Immigration are normally keen to see that each visitor has ties in their home country - that is, a job and home to go back to - because of wanting to be as sure as possible that the person won't be an overstayer, in this case, if the look, see and decide about jobs and relationship doesn't work out. (I beg your pardon, but that's how officialdom thinks!)

Yes. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visa-holders

Yes.

You might want to look up sponsorship on the INZ website. It's a huge undertaking these days. If he doesn't actually need financial help, it might even look better that he doesn't get sponsored - yours to decide. It's a toss-up. You can definitely provide him with letters he can show, saying that he's expected, welcome and has somewhere to stay for his visit.

No worries, but after reading everything on this site, I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about our opportunities over here, if it is the place for us. Him being Argentine, family is always a big thing, and the reason why I think it's best for him to just check things out here first is I worry that he will miss them too much/get homesick.

In regards to proving things about family and work, will they just take his word for it, or is there something he can bring to help him out?

I think a letter will be the better option in this case. Basically saying that he has come here to meet my family, and as such will have no accommodation costs, nor will he be expected to pay for food etc. when he is here.

Thank you very much for your help!

Maybe his contract, or payslips, or something else official, from work? And something to show where he lives, and that his home is still there for him - is there something like a voters' list? Photos of the family?

OK, thank you for that, will relay the info... Pretty sure his idea says he lives with his parents and he lives with them now.