Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualifying as a Lawyer in New Zealand

Default Qualifying as a Lawyer in New Zealand

Hello Everyone. I am a foreign qualified lawyer in New Zealand and realise that I need to go through a lengthy process for re-qualifying. I was wondering if anyone has already done this process and how did it work out for them. I would be grateful for any advise on the process and the opportunities for a foreign qualified lawyer post re-qualification in NZ.

At present, I am working in a role that does not really relate to law. I am not sure if I should study further in this role or or do the assessment and re-qualify

I too am interested in hearing of other's experience. My family will be making the move soon and I feel like I'm at a career crossroads. I'm contemplating whether I want to continue my legal career or if this is an opportunity to try something else. I did correspond with a lawyer who had gone through the trouble of requalifying in NZ. She was quite blunt with me about the adjustments she had to make but she is sticking with it.

I am curious to know what your job hunt was like in NZ.

Well it was challenging to get into the legal industry without having my qualifications assessed. Almost everyone told me that it is a very difficult field to get into, especially having overseas qualifications. I eventually took up a job on the administration side . I have started the process of assessment with the NZCLE now and frankly I am not sure how much will it help in getting a legal position here in Auckland.

I would be interested in hearing about what the lawyer you corresponded with had to say about the process. I have been mostly speaking to recruitment agencies and they all have told me that there are opportunities but without being NZ qualified, it will be quite impossible to be considered for them.

So I just sent my papers to the NZCLE today. Here is hoping that they give me a favorable assessment. I will keep this thread updated.

Good luck!

Hello everyone. After a 5 month wait and numerous emails back and forth, NZCLE has confirmed that they have sent me the assessment. Now I am waiting for the post to reach me. Hope nothing unexpected in there. Fingers crossed !

The assessment is here and is better than expected really. I only have to study 1 subject at the University- being Land Law. For everything else, I need to write the NZ Law and Practice Examination. Pretty happy about this

Congratulations, and good luck.

Thanks so much.

That is a relief! Congratulations. I hope your studying goes smoothly. I'm still not sure which avenue I'll take. We'll be down there in May and once we get settled in I'll really start thinking about it. Trying to make sure I have all the info they might ask for in an assessment though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast