Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partnership visa options...I have no idea what I'm doing

Default Partnership visa options...I have no idea what I'm doing

Hello, I'm glad I found this page, a lot of good info here. Anyways, I am completely confused how partnership visas and residency works, it seems every page talks about different options, and almost non of it makes sense to me. I'm 28, US citizen. I have been talking to a girl from NZ that I will be meeting soon. She has permanent residency. I can come to NZ for 12 months on the working holiday visa without an issue. This gives us time together, but as the 12 months is coming to an end, if we still are serious, what do I do?? She says claim partnership visa and just go get permanent residency and thats it, but I don't think thats how it works. I did read "once you have been in a relationship for 12 months", but in 12 months I would be having to leave. I'm lost. How do we go about this??

If you are in a genuine partnership and are living together but for less than 12 months, you can apply for a partnership based work visa which is usually granted for a year. After you have lived together for 12 months, you can apply for partnership based residency.
    Onus is on you to prove the genuineness of your relationship and not just living together.

Quote Originally Posted by bharatv87 View Post
    If you are in a genuine partnership and are living together but for less than 12 months, you can apply for a partnership based work visa which is usually granted for a year. After you have lived together for 12 months, you can apply for partnership based residency.
    Onus is on you to prove the genuineness of your relationship and not just living together.
    Thank you for your response! So at about 10 months, I can apply for the partnership based work, and that starts a new year? But at the original 12 month mark I am eligible for partnership based residency. If we split during the partnership based residency do I have to return to the US? If we are still going good, what are the next steps? Thanks again

Hello 88Lance:

I hope you and your partner can be together for a long time. However, just in case you guys split during the time of applying for partnership based Resident Visa, you need to inform INZ as soon as possible to avoid further investigation; and yes, you might need to back to US because you need to obtain a valid visa all the time in NZ, or you can apply for a temporary Visa, like Work or Student Visa.
    If everything goes well, you and your partner enjoy the new life, the next step is applying for Partnership Resident Visa under Family Category. Once your resident visa granted, you can stay in NZ permanently, and you need to live in NZ at least half year (around 184 days) for 2 years, then change your Resident Visa into a Permanent Resident Visa (formerly called Returning Resident Visa), which allows you travel between NZ and US anytime without any time and place limitations, put simply, you can back to US as long as you want, and come to NZ whenever you like.

Hope this might answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeTM View Post
    Hello 88Lance:

I hope you and your partner can be together for a long time. However, just in case you guys split during the time of applying for partnership based Resident Visa, you need to inform INZ as soon as possible to avoid further investigation; and yes, you might need to back to US because you need to obtain a valid visa all the time in NZ, or you can apply for a temporary Visa, like Work or Student Visa.
    If everything goes well, you and your partner enjoy the new life, the next step is applying for Partnership Resident Visa under Family Category. Once your resident visa granted, you can stay in NZ permanently, and you need to live in NZ at least half year (around 184 days) for 2 years, then change your Resident Visa into a Permanent Resident Visa (formerly called Returning Resident Visa), which allows you travel between NZ and US anytime without any time and place limitations, put simply, you can back to US as long as you want, and come to NZ whenever you like.

Hope this might answer your questions.
    Thanks for your response. It clears up a lot for me. does the 2 years start from the time I got to NZ or when i apply for the partnership residency visa? So it would take 2 years or 3 to reach PR?
    Last edited by 88Lance; 8th September 2016 at 04:53 PM.

2 years start from the time your Resident Visa granted. For example, if your Resident Visa approved 08/09/16, you might apply for Permanent Resident Visa on 08/09/18. So, it takes 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeTM View Post
    2 years start from the time your Resident Visa granted. For example, if your Resident Visa approved 08/09/16, you might apply for Permanent Resident Visa on 08/09/18. So, it takes 2 years.
    And I cant apply for resident visa for 12 months, so 3 years total from arrival to PR, correct?

[QUOTE=88Lance;543313]And I cant apply for resident visa for 12 months, so 3 years total from arrival to PR, correct?[/QUOTE

When you are granted residence, your first residence visa, if you are in NZ is valid for two years, allowing you to travel in and out if you wish. For most people if they have spent 184 days in each of those first two twelve month periods in NZ then would be eligible for a permanent resident visa. In partnership cases, so long as the NZ partner continues to support the application, further residence visas can be issued indefinitely, if the requirements for a permanent resident visa are never met due to absence from NZ.

You can make a residence application if you are living together with your partner, it just can be approved until their is evidence that you have lived together for 12 months. That why you have a partnership based work visa in the interim.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 8th September 2016 at 05:21 PM.

[QUOTE=ChrisMwn;543315]
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Lance View Post
    And I cant apply for resident visa for 12 months, so 3 years total from arrival to PR, correct?[/QUOTE

When you are granted residence, your first residence visa, if you are in NZ is valid for two years, allowing you to travel in and out if you wish. For most people if they have spent 184 days in each of those first two twelve month periods in NZ then would be eligible for a permanent resident visa. In partnership cases, so long as the NZ partner continues to support the application, further residence visas can be issued indefinitely, if the requirements for a permanent resident visa are never met due to absence from NZ.

You can make a residence application if you are living together with your partner, it just can be approved until their is evidence that you have lived together for 12 months. That why you have a partnership based work visa in the interim.
    So as long as i dont leave for a long time, 1 year of evidence we have lived together, then 2 years residence visa, then PR, so 3 years from arrival to PR.

not necessarily, since you cant predict how long it might take for a residecne application to be processed and approved. certainly the earliest date for PR would be two years after you receive a residence visa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast