Thread: Travelling from Orewa to Auckland's North Shore

Default Travelling from Orewa to Auckland's North Shore

Hi
    Does anyone travel from Orewa to Auckland's North Shore or possibly to West Auckland on work days? I'm thinking of moving to Orewa, but if the
    traffic congestion is unbearable, then I'll have to rethink. Any advice on travelling times would be most welcom.
    Thanks

Depends on which part of North shore you are thinking of, 3 options, East coast Bays Rd, Highway 1 or Highway 17 but really need to know what part of NS you will be working at' If you are working in Albany not too bad but the further down you need to go starts getting real slow. Same with West Auckland, what part?

Hi - Thanks for that. We work in Avondale and Henderson - kids have to get to Milford. Would we need to leave earlier than 7am ... Leaving times and returning times are crucial to establish whether the move will be worth our while .

This is only my own opinion but yes you would need to leave at the very latest 6.30 am to get to Avondale or Henderson even 6.30 things are getting pretty slow. One way you would need to go down highway1,over the Harbour Bridge then get on highway 16 to get to both of these but this seriously jams up . Another way would be to come off the 1 at Constellation then go along the Upper Harbour Highway /18 untill It joins the 16 then approach Avondale/ Henderson that way but I have never done it that way so have no idea how long that would take in the rush, either way you need to leave at the very latest 6.30am and you say you need to get to Milford for the schools. I am not sure this is going to be viable but hopefully someone else wil be able to advise as well but for me I would not take it on not with having to get the kids to Milford it wil not be easy. My neighbour works in the city and he leaves at 6am every morning and Orewa is another 15 mins drive from where I live. There is another route through Coatsville /Riverhead and joining with the 16 at Kumeu but that is no good for you as you need to get to Milford first

The "back" route on 16 would make more sense for Avondale and Henderson, but you would be merging into peak traffic to downtown Auckland from the West. We live in New Windsor (adjacent to Avondale) used to take the back route when it's against the traffic flow to my in-laws in Puhoi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in NZ View Post
    This is only my own opinion but yes you would need to leave at the very latest 6.30 am to get to Avondale or Henderson even 6.30 things are getting pretty slow. One way you would need to go down highway1,over the Harbour Bridge then get on highway 16 to get to both of these but this seriously jams up . Another way would be to come off the 1 at Constellation then go along the Upper Harbour Highway /18 untill It joins the 16 then approach Avondale/ Henderson that way but I have never done it that way so have no idea how long that would take in the rush, either way you need to leave at the very latest 6.30am and you say you need to get to Milford for the schools. I am not sure this is going to be viable but hopefully someone else wil be able to advise as well but for me I would not take it on not with having to get the kids to Milford it wil not be easy. My neighbour works in the city and he leaves at 6am every morning and Orewa is another 15 mins drive from where I live.There is another route through Coatsville /Riverhead and joining with the 16 at Kumeu but that is no good for you as you need to get to Milford first

Traffic over the bridge is unpredictable. I'm in Whangaparaoa, and at times have to regularly travel to CBD in commuter traffic. The trip can take anything from an hour to almost 3 hours (2h50m worst time).

Thanks a lot.