Thread: Information regarding Permanent Resident visa

Default Information regarding Permanent Resident visa

Hello Everybody,

My name is kal. I got Resident visa of New Zealand on 1 January 2015 and first travel to New Zealand on 10 January 2015. That means I am eligible to apply for Permanent resident visa on 10 January 2017.

I was unable to live 184 days in first year but in the second year I have spent more than 200 days in New Zealand and I am also doing permanent part time job and paying tax per week in second year. ( I was not paying tax or working somewhere in first year) I am not sure I am tax resident or not.

Please let me know in which category I will be able to get New Zealand PRV and also explain who is the tax resident in New Zealand.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    U.kal

Here is the official word on tax residency. http://www.ird.govt.nz/forms-guides/...residence.html

Aside from any other conditions, if you haven't met the 'time in NZ' requirement for showing commitment to New Zealand by 10th January, 2017, you haven't lost the chance. INZ count BACKWARDS from the date of application fior PR, so all you need to do is continue in NZ, and wait to apply till you do meet the conditions of 184 days in the previous 12 months, and 184 days in the 12 months before that.

Thanks for replying.

I can understand the time duration condition before applying for permanent resident visa.

But I cannot understand how someone will become tax resident. Can you please guide me if I am in Nz more then 187 days in one year and also paying tax in that year only. (Not paying tax in first year and only lived for some months).
    Am I eligible to apply for permanent resident visa under tax resident status?
    How much I have to pay to be tax resident?

I will appreciate youe kind reply.

Regards
    U.kal

Can anyone who already has become a NZ tax resident help here?

Quote Originally Posted by u.kal View Post
    But I cannot understand how someone will become tax resident. Can you please guide me if I am in Nz more then 187 days in one year and also paying tax in that year only. (Not paying tax in first year and only lived for some months).
    When am I considered a tax resident of New Zealand?

You are a tax resident in New Zealand if you:
    •are in New Zealand for more than 183 days in any 12-month period and haven't become a non-resident, or
    •have a 'permanent place of abode' in New Zealand, or
    •are away from New Zealand in the service of the New Zealand government.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/international...ncy-index.html

theres no absolutes here. More often than note IRD are confronted by people who want to refute that they are a NZ tax resident, rather than that they want to be.
    "Place of Abode" test is one of the considerations and will include whether you have a settled lifestyle off shore, overseas income, or property; and how they balance against your interests in NZ.