Thread: Dunedin - how cold is it??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dunedin - how cold is it??

Hi,

I have a job offer which involves a move to Dunedin from the UK but I'm a little worried about how cold it gets there? all the posts i have read seem to put the place down a lot, saying it is gray and cold, wet, windy etc...this is like the UK ...is it really that bad? I'm also worried about money as my wage is quite low for the first year but it does include a accommodation deal, any one with experience i welcome comments x

See here. https://www.wunderground.com/nz/dunedin If you scroll down a little, to the 'History' box on the left side, you can work your way back right through the year, to see the actual weather that happened on each day. Like this, you don't have to rely on anyone else saying, 'It's cold,' or whatever, without knowing what THEY feel is cold, which might be different from how you are.

A comparison of UK and NZ cities climates
    http://www.enz.org/nz-climate.html

As a Canadian, when I visited in autumn...cold. Not -10C and snowy, but chilly and damp. In my hotel I had to keep the week space heater cranked up and thank goodness for an electric blanket. If you score somewhere to live that was built recently (perhaps 90s or later) or an older place retrofitted with insulation and a good heating source, it'll be fine.

I visited in December and made use of the log burner in the bach but at that point I had been living on the North Island for the best part of a decade so my "home comparison" likely differed from yours. It is apparently fairly comparable to the South East of England so not what one would call a cold climate by a long stretch but not really the sort of weather people have in mind if motivation for moving includes "warmer climate".

Hi, having lived in Dunedin for the past two years (and moved here from the UK), I can say that it is not as cold as in the UK (well, North East anyway). The weather can change extremely quickly here but in my time here I have not experienced the sort of ongoing grey and wet weather as often is the case in the UK and we see the sun a lot more. The problem in Dunedin (and NZ) is that you can be cold inside the house, so I would make sure that you choose as warm a house as you can!