Thread: Visitor visa expiring while waiting for Residency visa. Options?

Default Visitor visa expiring while waiting for Residency visa. Options?

We're in a bit of a bind. My wife and I recently came to New Zealand, and decided we want to live here permanently. I'm a NZ Citizen, she's american. She is currently on a visitor's visa (not partnership based, just the one issued at the airport)

We were advised by the INZ that we could apply for a partnership-based residence visa right away. However, we didn't realise just how long the process takes. My wife's visa will expire in 45 days, and it's unlikely the new visa will be granted before then.

So, what can we do. INZ suggested applying for a partnership-based temporary visitor visa. That will take us a few days to gather documents for, then can take several weeks to process, so they suggested also applying for an interim visa for when her current visa runs out. This seems a little odd. Is there no way to apply for an interim visa for her current application?

Help!

1. She must be on a valid temporary visa, at all times, until she is a resident.
    2. You only need to have made application for a further visa, by the time her current visa expires. An "interim visa" will then be system generated, about the time that the current visa expires and is valid for 6 months, or until a decision is made on the new temporary visa you have applied for.

It seems it might be your choice as to whether it is easier to apply for a further visitor visa, or one based on the relationship.

I would not be doing anything for another month or so.

Thanks so much for the reply Chris,

So you're saying that when her current visitor visa runs out, my wife will automatically be granted an interim visa?

I'm also wondering if the fact that we've been living together more than 5 years (and are then potentially able to get a permanent visa for her) makes any difference?

No, you will need to make application for a further temporary visa, before her current visa expires. That could be either based on your partnership, or as a general visitor. If her current visa expires before that visa is approved, you will recive notification that an interim visa has been issued.

Aaah, I see. I didn't read your first reply correctly. Eyes saw what the brain wanted, I guess.

It seems like the temporary visitor visa based on relationship is the better option.

Why do you say you wouldn't be doing anything for another month or so? Just to give as much time on the temporary visa as possible?

because you might get a decision on the residecne application, in which case a further temporary application is not necessary, and you are only required to have lodged an application for a further temporary visa before the expiry date, not have had that application decided, if a further temporary visa was necessary.

That makes sense. Thanks again for the advice