Thread: Work to residence visa - should I wait or aplly under SMC?

Default Work to residence visa - should I wait or aplly under SMC?

Hi guys,

I currently hold a work to residence visa since I'm living and working in Auckland for a year and a half as a Land Surveyor.
    The question is, if I apply today for the SMC would I get residency straight away or they may grant another kind of visa such as the same as I already have?
    I mean, should I wait more six months and apply for residency or should I try the SMC as I have more than enough points?

Thanks

If you apply now for residence under SMC, you would be applying for the exact same residence as you will end up with if you apply for Residence From Work after your 24 months on Work To Residence. The choice of taking action now, or waiting, is down to your looking at the different requirements you would have to prove for the two routes, and personal choice. SMC with a skilled job can take six months up to a year to process, while Residence From Work is probably a bit quicker, so your end result would quite likely be about the same on that score.

Thanks for the advice JandM. I think I'll wait for more 6 months an then apply.