Thread: SMC - bonus points for job offered outside of Auckland and 12 months stay in the job requirement

Default SMC - bonus points for job offered outside of Auckland and 12 months stay in the job requirement

First of all, I would like to thank all of the people in this forum for you help. This is my first post, not because I didn't have any questions, just because I mostly found all answers from the existing posts.
    This time I would need your help. I have completed my ITA (offshore) and am going to submit it next week. I have 175 points currently, include 30 bonus points from a job offered in Wellington. I have claimed that 30 points in my EOI but recently I found that it would force me to work at least 12 months outside of Auckland under SM9.5 new regulations. I was thinking to cancel that 30 points (145 points left) in my ITA to remove that 12-month limiting condition if my SMC visa is approved later on. After searching around I found this FAQ for my question: (http://kb.immigration.govt.nz/item/21799)

"2016-Aug 19: Skilled Migrant Category Bonus Points
    19 August 2016

Skilled Migrant Category Bonus Points

SM9.5 allows an applicant to claim 30 bonus points for employment outside the Auckland region.

Some applicants will have sufficient points to meet Skilled Migrant Category instructions without the need to claim these points. Allocating them unnecessarily may result in limiting where the applicant may work and requiring them to provide evidence to verify the location of their employment.

Consequently, bonus points should not be awarded under SM9.5 unless needed to meet the selection criteria for which the applicant’s EOI was drawn.

Bonus points under SM8.5: employment in an identified future growth area or area of absolute skills shortage and SM10.5: Points for partner's skilled employment in New Zealand may be awarded even when not needed to meet the SMC pass mark, as they do not limit the applicant’s employment options.

Deciding an application when bonus points under SM9.5 are not needed

Officers may grant 30 points on the determination tab for region of employment if it is outside Auckland. The requirement for the job to be outside the Auckland region should be waived and a note added to AMS recording that the bonus points were not claimed and consequently not awarded.

Currently instructions (SM4.30.10) require s49(1) conditions to be imposed, even if these bonus points are not awarded. SDP will consider amending instructions to clarify that s49(1) conditions only need to be added if the bonus points are awarded. In the meantime, officers should use their discretion when assessing an application that may be affected by s49(1) conditions. For example, if the applicant has been in skilled employment outside Auckland for two months, the officer may consider waiting one month before approving the application, to avoid having to add the s49(1) conditions"

I would need your help to confirm if I understand it correctly: I don't have to take the risk of removing that 30 bonus points in my ITA because if my 175 points are fully accepted then the 12-month staying in the job condition in S49 will automatically be removed by the officer as 145 points were enough for my EOI to be selected. Do I get it right?
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Btw: anyone knows what AMS and SDP stand for?
    Last edited by inu; 24th September 2016 at 06:44 AM.

not sure about SDP, but AMS is "Activity Management System", INZ's (old) case processing system.

Clearly they are looking at amending instructions as above.
    I think your interpretation is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    not sure about SDP, but AMS is "Activity Management System", INZ's (old) case processing system.

Clearly they are looking at amending instructions as above.
    I think your interpretation is correct.
    Thanks a lot for your help. I'm lodging my ITA next Monday, nervous waiting time is coming