Thread: partnership residency advice...

Lightbulb partnership residency advice...

hi, my girlfriend is NZ citizen and we have been together for 5 years.

we have been living together 12month and then now I almost get ready with plenty of evidence for application in partnership residency(de facto)
    -lots of photo for 5years
    -rent agreement
    -support letter from friends and father
    -many posts to prove our address (electricity bill, internet etc..)
    -lots of evidence we travelled oversea third time (airplane ticket, hotel..etc)
    -activity bills in nz
    -joint bank account
    -car insurance
    as I am monitoring in this forum for a while, most partnership residency are approved after holding open work visa based on partnership for more than 1 year

but for me I did not need open work visa as I am holding NZ student visa

so I am bit worried of this..

do I have to get partnership residency through open work visa based on partnership?, (I want to directly apply residency)

and also will be happy for any advice for additional document I need

I will really appreciate your advice... thanks
    Last edited by hkim198; 24th September 2016 at 05:00 PM.

Just my Opinion, Depending on how long left you have on your Student Visa, You could apply for Working Visa first and then submit Residence because it can take Several months for it to come through.

There is no requirement to go for the work visa first, but as RougeKiwi said, most people do that to get a visa quickly, if their e.g. visitor's visa is about to run out. Bear in mind that a partner-sponsored Residence visa can take 6 - 9 months to process. If your student visa has 9 months or more to run, there is nothing to stop you going directly for the Residence visa.

Notice, though, that if it hasn't come through when your existing visa is about to run out, you will need to put in an application for the partner-sponsored work visa, to keep yourself legal. INZ can automatically issue an Interim visa to keep someone legal if they have applied for any kind of temporary work visa, but they can't do that if the application in process is for Residence.

Default ^^

thanks for your reply