Thread: Partnership visa vs work visa

Default Partnership visa vs work visa

I have been doing a lot of research on the work visa, and have got a lot of help here, awesome site! I have plenty of experience on a part of the skills shortage list for construction and have been really considering that route. But I would like to know what ya'll think about this option compared to the partnership option. I have a girl that lives in Dunedin that is a Permanent Resident, that I think i'll end up dating anyways it looks like She has a 2 room rent house and has suggested me come live there and date and and go that route leading to residency while being together. The downfalls of this idea, is what kind of work is in Dunedin that I am allowed to do during this type of process?? Secondly, what if the relationship ended 9 months into the move??? The downside of going straight to Canterbury and getting the work visa rolling, is that we're a few hours apart, and if i'm correct, it takes longer to get residency this way. I'm more leaning toward the work visa route, but maybe there are other factors to one or both that ya'll can weigh in on?

Here are the bare facts about the partnership visa situation. I'm just saying how it goes, not specially recommending it over your other idea.

If you were on the WHV you have talked about getting, you could do any work you were offered - it's an open visa. You would need to collect three months' evidence of living together to be able to apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, which would be for a year in the first instance. You would need 12 months (including those first three) to apply for partner-sponsored residence, which would then take 6 - 12 months to process, and obviously, if the relationship broke up and you moved out before you had residence, you wouldn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Here are the bare facts about the partnership visa situation. I'm just saying how it goes, not specially recommending it over your other idea.

If you were on the WHV you have talked about getting, you could do any work you were offered - it's an open visa. You would need to collect three months' evidence of living together to be able to apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, which would be for a year in the first instance. You would need 12 months (including those first three) to apply for partner-sponsored residence, which would then take 6 - 12 months to process, and obviously, if the relationship broke up and you moved out before you had residence, you wouldn't get it.
    Yea it seems like a quicker way, i'm just not sure it completely worth the risk, especially since there probably isnt a shortage of my skill in Dunedin. would almost be a gamble haha