Thread: Next Step

Default Next Step

Hi All:

I submitted my ITA on Aug 2016 and on Sep 12 I received an email with subject "Application Received at London Branch" and as per the email it states:

"We will endeavour to process your application as fast as we can. If your application cannot be processed within 10 working days, your Immigration Officer will contact you accordingly to advise if they require any information or documents for your application."

1. The 10 working days time is over and I have not received any communication, should I call them for an update?
    2. Plus anyone with their experience can tell what is the next step?

Regards,
    Nomez

I think, give it another two weeks at least. That 'further contact' will be automatically passed to clerks to deal with, and may well be in the queue to be dealt with already.

You sent back the ITA, with evidence of everything you said about yourself. Then your Case Officer (CO) will take all the time it needs to check out everything you have sent in. (This can take months.) The CO will send to you for more information any time s/he finds it necessary.

When the CO gets to the point that everything seems to be true, if you don't have a job offer, s/he will set up an interview. In the interview, s/he will be judging whether you seem to be the kind of person who is employable in NZ, and if you could fit into NZ society. (There are many old threads on the forum giving you Interview Questions.) As a result of this interview, the result is one of three things - Approved in Principle for Residence, or a Job Search visa (deferred Residence) which gives the person a nine months visa to find a skilled job in NZ, or refusal.

But before the applicant is told the result, the case is checked over by a different official - there can be quite a long delay till this is done, partly depending on which office is dealing with your case.

So you will not be sure of anything until the end of this process. You will be like everyone else - often thinking about INZ, and worrying, and hoping the time will pass quickly. Good luck.

Thanks JandM.

Actually I got in contact with a recruiter which requires my exact skills but in order to proceed with job interview, they are asking for PR. I was thinking if Immigration reverts to me in 10 days time, it might help. As recruiter is not willing to give job offer without PR.

But seems, wait is the only option.

I think this potential employer may not have a clear understanding of NZ immigration, which may be bad news.

You are not applying for PR. An application under SMC leads to Residence if successful. PR cannot be applied for directly - it is an entirely different visa for which nobody is eligible until they have been based in NZ on a Residence visa for a minimum of two years.

Even if the employer means they want you to have Residence, without a job offer (which you say they are not willing to make until you HAVE the visa), this will probably take 10 months to a year to process, from the date of lodgement. (If you had the job offer, it would still take 6 - 9 months.) Are you convinced the employer would still have a position for you after this length of time?

Most people getting a job offer in NZ are sponsored by the employer for a temporary work visa (either Essential Skills, or Work To Residence if the employer is accredited), which can be processed in about a month, so they can be already in NZ very quickly, and if they've also applied for Residence, that application can tick along taking the time it takes in the background, without keeping the employer waiting.

Thanks JandM, employer is asking for a valid visa to work in NZ before proceeding. And as you have clarified, the process of Residence has no fixed time frame and I have to wait for CO to break the ice.

Out of curiosity, by any chance, do you know can I ask for a refund before the decision is being made on my application?

Regards,
    Nomez

No, INZ don't give refunds.

Yes they do give refunds if you withdraw your application early in the start otherwise not once the processing is started ...thank you

Quote Originally Posted by coolnicewise View Post
    Yes they do give refunds if you withdraw your application early in the start otherwise not once the processing is started ...thank you
    But they have started, I believe.