Thread: Working Holiday Visa and Job offer

Default Working Holiday Visa and Job offer

Hi there!

I did a research here on the forum and found some older posts about WHV and job offer, but I didn't find the information that is important for me, that's why I've opened a new conversation.

I am on Working Holiday Visa in New Zealand, have been here for half a year, another half to go and I can work for the same employer for max. 3 months. I have a possibility to get a job offer from the employer who I am working at the moment for. So in case I would like to accept the job, I would have to apply for a Work Visa. My question is: Can I lose my Working Holiday Visa if I apply for a Work Visa? (I know that you lose your WHV if you get a WV).

It doesn't make sense to me, but I got an information that you can lose your Working Holiday Visa even if you just apply for Work Visa (and you don't get it). Is that correct? Is that maybe a restriction, because the primary reason for coming to New Zealand for people on Working Holiday Visa should be holiday and not working? Is that possible or did I just receive wrong information? I would like to make sure, because I really don't want to lose my Working Holiday Visa because of only applying for a Work Visa.

I would also like to ask about this limitation of 3 months of working for the same employer. Does that mean that you can work 3 months in one piece (one period) (for example: from 1.January-1.April) or does it mean that you can work 3 months all together (for example: half month in January, two months in June and July and another half month in September).

Can someone help me with the answers, please?

Thank you!

No, you won't lose your WHV just for applying for a temporary work visa.

The three months can be either all at one time, or adding up to that from separate brief times for the same employer.

JandM, thank you for your quick answer!

I have another question, if anyone knows. In can also extend my Working Holiday Visa, that would be extra 3 months in my case, so 12 months of WHV plus 3 extra months.

I've been working for a certain employer for 3 months (in 12 months period). Can I work for the same employer in extended part (so for another 3 months) or not?

Thanks!

Look on the INZ website for the terms of the WHV from your country - the conditions vary.

JandM, thank you for your advise. I did, but I couldn't find that detail. Maybe I should contact them.

Nice regards!

A good idea. That's the only way to be sure.

My entry here in NZ is WHV as well.You cannot work under the same employer for more than 3 months. If your employer is willing to give you a job offer within 3 months of stay tat would be better so that you still have the time to apply for work visa and before your 3 months expires the approval has come out.

If ever the approval of your work visa has not come out yet and you are on the 3rd month.You cannot stay under the same company and need to wait for the approval first. It is better to talk with your employer and hope that they will still consider you once the approval has come out. Right now I am waiting for my RV approval