Thread: Partnership work visa

Question Partnership work visa

Hi! I'm struggling with a partnership work visa and I was hoping I'm not out of luck when it comes to my situation.

I'm Canadian and I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years. We met while I was a nanny on a working holiday visa in New Zealand. We were together for about 10 months when I made the dumb mistake of overstaying on my visa by three months so we could travel together. I went back to Canada for school and he came to live with me for over a year. He remained as a visitor until he was granted a working visa in January 2015. When his visa expired the following year, he left to go home to Auckland. I finished school in April and was naive to think my overstaying in the past wouldn't affect my future travel. I had tickets to Auckland for the end of July, but was stopped in LAX where I was told I screwed up my visa waiver privileges with my dumb past move.

I sadly went home where I immediately began the process for a partner based work visa. The process took a little over three weeks but my application was rejected. They said I didn't provide enough proof that I wouldn't overstay on this visa too. So I applied a second time, with the proof of a job offer for me here in Canada next spring 2017. I sent the application again with the new information and the previous bucket loads of evidence of our relationship. The process began as of last Thursday and it will be another 20 working days of waiting. I guess my question is whether I have ruined my chances of getting a visa forever? I've never done something as difficult as long distance and I am kind of going crazy. If anyone has any insight into the process or helpful information at all, I would be grateful.
    Thanks!

You haven't ruined it forever, but, as you've already seen for yourself, you've made it easier for them to say, 'No, convince us.' Every application is looked at individually, so here's hoping for you that this time, with the extra evidence, they will be able to tick enough boxes.