Thread: Medical assessor timeframe on talent visa

Default Medical assessor timeframe on talent visa

Hi

My husband and I have had our Medicals. He is applying for a talent accredited employer visa. I know the work visa application is fast tracked. Does this include any part referred to MA? His BMI was 36 and he has type 2 diabetes and very mild hypertension (both well controlled medically).
    From reading posts on here I am incredibly anxious that this combination will mean we are not ASH and can't get a visa but wonder if I'm in for a long wait or will get away with a slightly shorter one due to the visa type.

Thanks in advance.

The medical is not included in the fast-tracking, sorry.

Well understood and medically well-controlled 'ordinary' conditions are not a bar to getting a visa, and there are many people who have successfully applied to go to NZ with diabetes and/or hypertension. A high BMI is regarded as a warning signal that the person may be lining up future health problems for themself, and the MA is quite likely to require a doctor's report. It is sometimes possible to pre-empt some of their requirements. I suggest that your husband should voluntarily go to his doctor to ask to be checked over, and for advice about his high BMI. The doctor will then be able later to write a report to the effect that he has recommended X diet and Y exercise regime (or whatever he does recommend). If your husband goes back in three weeks or a month to be re-examined, the doctor can then add what the effects of the treatment have been in that time. The doctor's report can be forwarded to INZ (giving full details of the application and his eMedical number), who will pass it on to catch up with the original medical, which will probably still be waiting for attention. With luck, when the MA sees the original eMedical form, the answers to his/her questions will be right there in your own doctor's report.

If your husband has any doubts about taking some action on this, I suggest you show him this thread, about the saga of one lady with a high BMI. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26174

Thank you. Looks like we are in for a long wait then.

I'm not good at waiting. I've been stressed for months about the medical. I knew the other conditions might just be ok on their own as they are controlled but also knew he would be borderline just under or over BMI35 but after having 1.5l water to give a clear urine sample it ended up where it did.

Thanks again.

I'm not good at waiting. I've been stressed for months about the medical.
    Not that I expect it helps much, but this is entirely normal and you're not alone.