Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job search on arrival, what do I need?

Default Job search on arrival, what do I need?

If I land in NZ from the US on a 12 month WHV, I would like to immediately start my job search in the Canterbury area for construction work by going and meeting some employers, in order to get a job offer to stay. I know I need a CV and have it ready. What else do I need? Do I just show up, get settled in the area, have some CV copies and start going and meeting people as the first step, or is there other things I need before this step?

This for Wellington, not Christchurch, but Seek is a good place to start looking.

https://www.seek.co.nz/job/31895829?...r&whereid=3001

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    This for Wellington, not Christchurch, but Seek is a good place to start looking.

https://www.seek.co.nz/job/31895829?...r&whereid=3001
    Excellent, is there anything i need before aplying for these jobs besides a CV? Or are there no other steps until i have a job offer?

Are you asking about steps to take with immigration regarding your WHV before you apply for work?

Have you looked into the differences between NZ and US CVs? There are quite different expectations.
    Have you looked into what qualifications you'll need to do various construction jobs? There are a variety of licenses that some jobs require.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Are you asking about steps to take with immigration regarding your WHV before you apply for work?

Have you looked into the differences between NZ and US CVs? There are quite different expectations.
    Have you looked into what qualifications you'll need to do various construction jobs? There are a variety of licenses that some jobs require.
    Yea I was going to do some research and make a proper NZ CV. I think I have found some floor jobs hat my years of experience will cover that another member forwarded to me. I guess I'm mainly wondering about anything that needs to be done before applying for jobs. If I can just show up and start working on getting a job offer, or if there are other things like paperwork that has to be done before I can even start searching.

I presume you know about getting an IRD number?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I presume you know about getting an IRD number?
    I do not. I figured there was probably things I am missing haha. do tell

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Thank you! I guess this is something to apply for after setting up a bank account after arrival. Are the forms just available at immigration offices? Any idea how long the process takes to get a number?

Download the forms right from that web-page.

Normally, around two weeks, I gather, but there is a fast-track procedure if you ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast