Thread: Future Teen in New Zealand

Default Future Teen in New Zealand

Hi, everyone! So, my family is moving from Romania to New Zealand (Auckland). The flight is on October 4th. I am kind of scared because I don't know how I am going to integrate there. I wanted to ask for some informations about the education system (I am 15 years old so about highschool), the climate (aka the weather), how are the people and how am I going to resist the flight (30+h) and for sure if you can give me more informations about anything!

P.S. bookmark this page if you want some impressions from a teen in New Zealand!

This page and the links off it https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li.../school-system will give you the official picture about school in NZ. The staff at the school you go to will talk to you about what you have already studied, and give you a few tests, before deciding which class(es) to put you in, to help you assimilate as soon as possible. Be prepared to find you are ahead in some subjects, and behind in others, because in different countries, even with subjects that EVERYONE covers, topics can be taught in a different way, and in a different order. But NZ schools are very used to giving help to young people coming in from abroad.

The weather. On this page https://www.wunderground.com/nz/auckland scroll down to find 'History', on the left. With that function you can look at every day back through the year, to see what the weather was doing.

The people are - human beings, varied! As with people everywhere, a lot of the time, you get the kind of reaction due to how you react to them. Have a friendly face and treat them fairly, and people are generally kind.

Don't be afraid of the flight. People build it up, but there is no need. You are going to be mostly sitting in a chair for a day and a half, with people bringing you things to eat and drink. This is nothing to be afraid of! There is an entertainment system, with many different kinds of films, TV programmes, and music you can call up at will. You can (and should) get up and go for a walk around the cabin regularly - get to the wider space, and do some stretches and gentle exercises. Before you go, look up leg exercises you can do in your seat http://www.wikihow.com/Do-an-In-Flight-Fitness-Workout, to help your circulation. The flight may be a good time to start a book you have been looking forward to reading - it can take you right away in your imagination. You could start to write a book yourself, also imagining yourself away from that cabin.

Talk to your parents. They must have answers to your worries about education, I am sure they will have done some research. Just get back into a school as soon as possible so you make friends and don't miss out on anything.
    Don't worry about the flight, you can just eat, sleep and watch lots of new films. When you get to NZ you'll be tired, but try to stay awake as long as you can on the first day to avoid jet lag. It's not really anything to worry about.

The most important thing is to look upon it as an adventure and a life-changing opportunity.
    Even if your family stay but if you don't like it, there's always the chance for you to return to Europe when you are a bit older.

Hello aurora
    We moved with our 14 year old son from europe 1.5 year ago. Actually he made us move after we ve visited nz for holiday and he loved this country from the moment we arrived. (Luckely we got joboffer in nz after returning to europe) and we were back on a flight to NZ whitin 7 months , all packed up.
    Yes its a long flight but our teen loved it (both times) so much to see and to experience. Maybe some music on your phone or ipod helps you through the flight easier. Enrolling into school was easy for him cause he already had english lessons and new zealand schools are used to have international students . We as a family are enjoying new zealand every day and its our home. Leaving our family behind in europe wasn t easy but we have more quality time as a famely overhere and the climate is much better and warmer than in europe . All the best and good luck you re gonna be fine

Libby2- thanks for her story. Me and my daughter are now considering rellocation to Canada or NZ. She is 16.

maybe the person that will help you in this matter is your parents. for sure they know all your concern and the were ready for it for your near future