Thread: South Afica loses Visa waiver Status from 21 November

Default South Afica loses Visa waiver Status from 21 November

From INZ, just released.

October 2016

Visa change for South African passport holders

From the 21st November 2016 the New Zealand Government is set to introduce visitor visa requirements for all South African passport holders wishing to visit New Zealand.

Currently, people from South Africa do not need to apply for a visa before travelling to New Zealand, with genuine visitors being granted a visitor visa on arrival.
    This means that from November ALL South African passport holders will need to obtain a visa before travelling to New Zealand.

The Government is introducing these changes as a result of an increase in the number of ineligible passengers who do not meet New Zealand entry instructions.
    While Immigration New Zealand (INZ) has been very successful in managing these risks to date, this has been a resource intensive process and the decision has been made to suspend the visa waiver status from South Africa, reinstating visitor visa requirements.

INZ recognises the longstanding relationship that we have with South Africa and welcomes and encourages legitimate visitors from South Africa to New Zealand.
    The cost of a visitor visa online is $165.00 (NZ). Immigration New Zealand (INZ) considers every visa application on its individual merits before making a decision.
    More information can be found on the Immigration New Zealand website.

What do these changes mean?
    This means that on and after the 21 November all South African nationals will need to obtain a visa before travelling to New Zealand
    Applicants wishing to travel to New Zealand should visit the Immigration New Zealand website to find out how to apply for a visitor visa.
    Visitor Visa

I’m from South Africa and purchased a ticket prior to todays’ announcement, what happens now?

People who have already purchased tickets for travel to New Zealand prior to today's announcement should immediately apply for a visitor visa.
    Visitor Visa

I’m due to travel to New Zealand next week, is that enough time to be granted a visitor visa?

Immigration New Zealand (INZ) is committed to delivering the fastest possible service for visa applicants but processing times will always depend on the complexity of an application and some applications will take longer to process than others, particularly if the information provided by applicants needs to be clarified.
    INZ recommends that applicants apply for a visitor visa about six weeks in advance of their intended travel dates.

I’m planning to travel to New Zealand before 21 November, but I won’t be leaving until afterwards. Do I need to apply for a visa before I travel?

No. You will be a granted visitor visa on your arrival in New Zealand providing you meet standard requirements (such as having sufficient funds, an outward ticket and satisfying the immigration officer you are genuinely intending a visit). The visitor visa will remain valid for up to three months from your arrival.

I’m a South African national in New Zealand and wish to extend my stay; do I need to apply for a visitor visa?

Yes – whether you were granted a visa under visa waiver provisions or arrived with a visa you will need to ensure you remain lawfully in New Zealand. If you wish to stay beyond the duration of the visa you currently have please apply for another visa well before your current visa is due to expire.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 3rd October 2016 at 11:33 AM.

I'd be interested to know if South Africa will do the same to New Zealand passport holders? I.e. reciprocal. I know with China this is the case right down to the price of getting a Chinese visa from the consulate here, its the same as what INZ charge Chinese Passport holders for a visitor visa.

Quote Originally Posted by gareth41 View Post
    I'd be interested to know if South Africa will do the same to New Zealand passport holders? I.e. reciprocal. I know with China this is the case right down to the price of getting a Chinese visa from the consulate here, its the same as what INZ charge Chinese Passport holders for a visitor visa.
    that's always possible, although from a NZ end its clearly been done to manage "risk"