Thread: Better for sponsored person to be a "friend" or a "girlfriend"?

Default Better for sponsored person to be a "friend" or a "girlfriend"?

Hi all - I don't think that this is much of an actual issue in practical terms... BUT I just want to ensure that the visa application goes through as quickly as possible without any snags, as we are pressed for time. And if I can avoid any problems/delays upfront, so much the better ...

The situation is that I'm being a sponsor for my Vietnamese girlfriend to come to NZ on a visitor visa. It's only a two week visit, so it seems simplest to apply for a visitor visa, instead of a "Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa", which requires that we have been living together (which we haven't).

My question is: should I put "friend" or "girlfriend" for the question: "Relationship to you" in the sponsorship form (Question A1, in form INZ 1025).

Presumably I should put "girlfriend", but would the Immigration Service staff make a big deal about it and ask why I'm not doing a "Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa"? Again, I can just say, well I don't think we qualify for this yet, but as I say I don't want a hold up with the application process.

Alternatively I could just put "friend", but I worry that this would be held against us later if we apply for a partnership based visa.

Thanks for any comments!

Quote Originally Posted by adwood88 View Post
    Hi all - I don't think that this is much of an actual issue in practical terms... BUT I just want to ensure that the visa application goes through as quickly as possible without any snags, as we are pressed for time. And if I can avoid any problems/delays upfront, so much the better ...

The situation is that I'm being a sponsor for my Vietnamese girlfriend to come to NZ on a visitor visa. It's only a two week visit, so it seems simplest to apply for a visitor visa, instead of a "Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa", which requires that we have been living together (which we haven't).

My question is: should I put "friend" or "girlfriend" for the question: "Relationship to you" in the sponsorship form (Question A1, in form INZ 1025).

Presumably I should put "girlfriend", but would the Immigration Service staff make a big deal about it and ask why I'm not doing a "Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa"? Again, I can just say, well I don't think we qualify for this yet, but as I say I don't want a hold up with the application process.

Alternatively I could just put "friend", but I worry that this would be held against us later if we apply for a partnership based visa.

Thanks for any comments!
    Its best to be honest, if you says she is your friend now and then later apply for a partnership based visa, INZ will look at the date you say your relationship began and the date she lodged the visitor visa saying she was just your friend and from that will work out you lied to them, I have seen another post where exactly that was done by another couple and when INZ put the pieces together they declined the visa on charter grounds.

INZ will also not ask why you are applying for a partnership based visa when she lodges the visitor visa application if you state in the cover letter you have not lived together yet and do not qualify for a partnership based visa, my partner did that before we lived together long enough to get a partnership based visa.

As she does not yet qualify as your partner in the eyes of INZ she will have to provide documents to support her visitor visa application such as your sponsorship and also that she has ties to her home country, such as a job and financial commitments there, the more the better as your partner would fall in-between a visitor visa and partnership based visa which INZ are cautious of, they know her main reason for coming is to be with you, but they are also aware your relationship can not be considered stable yet, and if things would take a turn for the worst between you two they want to be convinced she would not become an over stayer. They may grant a limited visa (a kind of discretionary visa) as she may not meet the requirements of a visitor and obviously not a partner, it may even be worth inviting them to consider a limited visa if they are not willing to grant a visitor visa, my partner also did this and was granted the limited visa.

I think you will struggle to get a visa for a Vietnamese national, who is young, single, without incentive to return to VN, and has no history of international travel.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    I think you will struggle to get a visa for a Vietnamese national, who is young, single, without incentive to return to VN, and has no history of international travel.
    Well then, I am fortunate that my girlfriend is NOT particularly young, DOES have an incentive to return to VN, and DOES have a history of international travel!

Thanks for your comments David. I'll adopt the completely honest approach, and see how it goes!